828mk3 firewire no more connection, now what?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Jurjen
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828mk3 firewire no more connection, now what?

Post by Jurjen »

Hi there,

I did do a search before posting here, but couldn't find all the answers I needed.

I have a Motu 828mk3 (original firewire-only version). I was one of the first to buy one, back in 2008 or 2009 (can't remember the exact date).

Recently the firewire interface died on me. I tried it on 3 different computers, 3 different cables. No luck... I read that the most common cause was accidentally plugging the connector upside-down into the unit. However, this seems unlikely, since I know the little triangle has to be down and I recently had it outside of its case, so I've had easy access to the back. So this scenario, however not impossible, is very improbable. (Nobody else has access to it, since I have it at home.)

MOTU tech support wasn't useful either, the guy only concluded to send it in for repair. But this seems like a pricey thing, considering it's out of warranty. They'll probably replace the entire print, or simply the entire machine. So am I wrong to expect a hefty invoice? It'll be a shame, since I only used it once or twice a year so far.

I opened up the unit to see if I could detect any visual damage that might be easy to repair (sometimes it's as simple as a loose data cable). I noticed a lot of dirt, potentially from oxidation? The biggest surprise: a USB connector!

I plugged it into a computer and it was recognized at first as "828mk3", but later only installed as "USB input device". Should I assume that it's only for servicing/troubleshooting? Seems to good to be true to simply have a hidden USB port to have it work again for cuemix and recording/playback.

So, to sum it up:
- anything useful to do with the USB connector on the inside?
- any chance of repairing the firewire issue myself (I do a lot of my repairs myself, I got soldering skills)? Anything that I can test/measure with a multimeter?
- any estimates on the cost of repair? (They seem a pretty cheap-ass company for after-sales as they don't even have a toll-free telephone number.)

Thanks in advance!
Jurjen

Re: 828mk3 firewire no more connection, now what?

Post by Jurjen »

Nobody?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Are you sure the repair is expensive? When I had problems with my 828-3, the "repair" was a flat $100 plus shipping -- IIRC, they simply send you a used but working replacement. All considered though, it's a very old unit, and its resale value is less than the cost of shipping and repair. For a little bit more than the cost of repairing the 828, there are a lot of newer interfaces available that might do what you need.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
marga

Post by marga »

I just sent my 828Mk3 FW unit from UK to US as I was having drama with Motu UK distributors .It Cost me 99 Dollars US For a returns number Plus postage via UPS. Its took one week end to end for a refurbished unit.It depends what you think your unit is worth.. Its the Best out of warranty service I've ever had.
joewalch

Post by joewalch »

marga wrote:I just sent my 828Mk3 FW unit from UK to US as I was having drama with Motu UK distributors .It Cost me 99 Dollars US For a returns number Plus postage via UPS. Its took one week end to end for a refurbished unit.It depends what you think your unit is worth.. Its the Best out of warranty service I've ever had.
Hi I have the common firewire problem on an 828 mkII. Could you tell me who you contacted to initiate the return in the US? Was it MOTU themselves?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It has been reported that the refurb exchange program for the 828mkII is no longer available. Call MOTU to confirm.

There is an old thread where someone reported he was able to buy inexpensive parts from Mouser and fix his. Unfortunately, he gave no part numbers or any other clue.

There are other issues when these units get old enough -- heat, power supplies and display screens. MOTU does not supply a schematic nor parts list. A good tech should be able to fix one unless the problem is with any of the MOTU proprietary components -- those cannot be obtained.

The newest mkII is over 8 years old. I bought one of the very last (knock on wood). Is it time for a mkIII Hybrid?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Jurjen

Post by Jurjen »

Are we still talking about the MK3 or are you referring to the MK2??
But I certainly wouldn't mind trading it in for the hybrid (to have a backup connection option)! :D
(Still haven't gone around to start the trade-in procedure....)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Jurjen wrote:Are we still talking about the MK3 or are you referring to the MK2??
But I certainly wouldn't mind trading it in for the hybrid (to have a backup connection option)! :D
(Still haven't gone around to start the trade-in procedure....)
Sometimes, you have to read the whole thread:
Hi I have the common firewire problem on an 828 mkII. Could you tell me who you contacted to initiate the return in the US? Was it MOTU themselves?
It has been reported that the refurb exchange program for the 828mkII is no longer available. Call MOTU to confirm.
The rest applies to both the mkII and mkIII.
There is an old thread where someone reported he was able to buy inexpensive parts from Mouser and fix his. Unfortunately, he gave no part numbers or any other clue.

There are other issues when these units get old enough -- heat, power supplies and display screens. MOTU does not supply a schematic nor parts list. A good tech should be able to fix one unless the problem is with any of the MOTU proprietary components -- those cannot be obtained.
I have not the slightest idea if the refurb exchange for the original mkIII still exists or not. You will have to call MOTU. Do let us know what they say. Many will be interested in what you find out.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I have not the slightest idea if the refurb exchange for the original mkIII still exists or not. You will have to call MOTU. Do let us know what they say. Many will be interested in what you find out.
My 828-3 has the heat problem. I was going to get the refurb, but I recently replaced it with a Focusrite, and the cost of the refurb plus shipping is about the same as the ebay price for this unit. So it's not really worth the cost and effort if you have an acceptable alternative available.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Agreed. You do have choices in today's market.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

The replacement for a $99 flat charge is still in place - I just had it done with my 828 mk3 hybrid that I had bought used at a steal (but it was broken, making huge noise from the mic trims at every detente position!)

I called MOTU and they set me up. First they confirmed my serial and I had to send a scan or photo of my receipt. They then took my credit card info, and emailed me an RMA number and the address to ship it to. Call them to confirm you need the same stuff: 617.576.3066 - Nick, Travis, Brian, etc. are all very helpful.

I still got a great deal over anything on Ebay, plus a full two-year manufacturer's warranty.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Licornerouge
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Licornerouge »

I found out like many people that the firewire chip that's inside the 828's and the Travellers, as well as many other MOTU interfaces of this "old" generation are very fragile and always break when the terrible mistake of plugging the FW400 upside down happens !!! :(
FORTUNATELY with a tech' friend of mine we managed to replace it with a new one from the original factory (Texas Instrument) that costed us only 6$ and even if, I have to say it, it is not an operation for beginners but probably for techs it's just a few hours/minutes depending on your skill to take the machine appart, identifying the chip that is close to the FW connectors and oredering one online :D
Then you just have to take the broken one out of the machine (with an electronics pro heater) and replace it with the new one. Most of the time it's a tadaaaa :D Happened to me 3 times through the years with different interfaces and fixed it 3 times the same way ;)

Here's the spare part number : TSB41AB2PAP which is a Texas Instrument 1394 interface chip

You certainly will find some video of making this operation out there, here's one of them (not me) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIc-7_7z7wM
Jurjen

Post by Jurjen »

Thanks, LicorneRouger!
I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, so this may be a cost-effective solution.
Except that firewire is virtually dead by now; can't find it on laptops anymore. If anything, it will allow me to get a decent resell price for it on eBay and the likes.