Using Multiple 896mk3's

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
RockinRandyNJ
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Using Multiple 896mk3's

Post by RockinRandyNJ »

Hello
New to the forum today I've been reading thru the forums trying to find some answers but as of yet have not found what I need. Maybe someone can help a novice at the MOTU stuff

I have two 896 mk3's and I am having absolutely no luck using them together I had ordered a 3rd one but I have put it on hold waiting to see if I can get thru this.

The problem is I cannot get the audio to all come out of the same main outs ! Can someone please post a step by step approach to the proper way to make this work out with the 896mk3 FW they are not the Hybrids I am using fire wire cables daisy chaining them. have searched online for weeks to no avail.

Really need some help with this hope someone can walk me thru the proper hardware, wiring and console setups

Thanks in advance, Randy

BTW I have been using 1 896mk3 for years flawlessly. Disappointed in myself that I cannot figure this out and manual no help GRRRR
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using Multiple 896mk3's

Post by Dwetmaster »

Here are three options.

1- You can use ADAT optical cables to connect the slave to the master. The you'll have everything in the same cuemix window.

2- You can use Audio-MIDI setup to make an aggregate device to combine both as one device

3- You can use your DAW's routing capabilities to take charge of the monitoring/routing.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

FWIW, I use to have this setup with an 896mk3 and two 896HD. I used adat lightpipe with great success.

But I used external clocking to keep everything together. I would HIGHLY recommend you do the same.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
TrebleHook

Post by TrebleHook »

Hi Dwetmaster, I know an old post, but looking for answers for myself and came across your response. My question is if I were to use the method in 2 to combine interfaces, will I be able access the DSP effects for each devices inputs? or should I say can I have more than one cue mixer and combine them so each interface allocates it's own DSP to it's input channels and then combine each mix to the main output and monitor outs?
Thanks in advance,
Treble Hook
Treble Hook
Florida Soul-Cast Studio
727-418-2916 idigflorida@gmail.com
iMac 2020 Monterey macOS 12.4; Tascam Model 12, DP11.1; Spectrasonics Trillian; Toontracks Superior Drummer 2; Adam Monroe AMRotaryOrgan