Is it possible to use Cuemix effects internally?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
eeekkk
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Is it possible to use Cuemix effects internally?

Post by eeekkk »

Hello,

Ultralite mk3 hybrid, windows 8.1 user here. Was wondering if it's possible for example to route my audio channels of ableton live to 4 different interface outputs apply different effects on cuemix and route everything to be summed on 1/2 main output? If yes, can someone explain a bit how to do it in cuemix?
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Is it possible to use Cuemix effects internally?

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

It is a bit of a kludge but the simple answer is Yes.

On the Ultralite you will need to re route the various outputs back into the unit again as inputs. Then mix them down to two tracks. S/PDIF is ideal for this but going round a DAC/ADC loop doesn't have an audible effect either.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

RonaldDumsfeld wrote:It is a bit of a kludge but the simple answer is Yes.

On the Ultralite you will need to re route the various outputs back into the unit again as inputs. Then mix them down to two tracks. S/PDIF is ideal for this but going round a DAC/ADC loop doesn't have an audible effect either.
Does the ultralite not have the Return Assign option? This is from the 828-3 manual section on MOTU Audio Setup:

"The 828mk3 driver provides a stereo return back to the computer.This return feeds the signal on any 828mk3 output pair directly back to the computer, where you can record, process,monitor or otherwise use it.This is a great way to “bounce” full mixes, complete with live audio routed through the 828mk3 only, back into the computer."
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

Yes but the return is an input.

So in order to get it back out again to his Mains 1-2 he would have to record it and pass it out as a monitor mix. Which would be fine, except he wants to do this with 4 channels rather than just 1 or 2 and the return only applies to one output at a time.

This is my understanding anyway. I could be missing a trick. So if anyone knows different (on an Ultralite) please pipe up.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

The return pair can be set to capture any single analog output pair. So you could try outputting to, say analog 7-8, apply the Cuemix effects, and bring the processed audio back into DP from the Return pair, and monitor that from Main Outs? Haven't tried it, and have no idea if that would apply to the Ultralite
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8