MIDI Express XT win 8.1 and SYSEX

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Puppeteer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI Express XT win 8.1 and SYSEX

Post by Puppeteer »

Hi guys,

I'm after a new 8x8 MIDI interface and pickings are rather slim now days. I'm running Win 8.1 64 bit and my web searching has noted some people having problems with the XT corrupting SYSEX (though most posts seem to be 2012 era).

SYSEX is very important to me (for dumps and hardware control), so I'm wondering if this is still an issue with this interface or if things are stable now days?

Any other comments on the use of this interface under Win 8.1?

Thanks in advance
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Express XT win 8.1 and SYSEX

Post by monkey man »

The only sysex-transfer corruption I've seen, and I've been running the XT units for 15 years albeit on Macs, was either in DP 5 or 6. There was a well-known bug that was promptly fixed by an update from MOTU. All sysex dumps from all my hardware were useless at the time.

I can't help but wonder whether or not the gripes you heard were related to this temporary-but-annoying bug, Puppeteer.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Puppeteer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Puppeteer »

Thanks for the reply.

They could well have been due to the bug. Here's a couple of the links.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=49907
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... oblem.html

I just want to be sure they work before I shell out some cash. I already have 2 8x8 interfaces that don't want to play the game on Win 8.1.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

The fact that software other than DP struggled with it suggests it wasn't DP. There was an issue with DP6 or whatever, as I said, but it was quickly solved.

Both threads mention a firmware update from MOTU that appears to have solved the issue. Further to this, it shouldn't be a concern 'cause if MOTU hadn't have fixed this, more recent complaints would've been spewed all over the 'net. The fact that you've stumbled upon historic complaints when researching your purchase shouldn't sway you; had they been more recent it'd be another story. IMHO your worry is unfounded.

Personally, I'd just be sure to buy a new one (as opposed to s/h); that way you'd ensure that the latest firmware is included. As a precaution, you might want to qualify the purchase with the vendor - buy it only from someone who'll agree to accept a return should your immediate tests prove the unit unworthy. Promise to conduct a sysex-dump test as soon as you hook it up.

To sum up: Buy a new unit, ensuring a return is feasible should it not handle sysex properly. Considering how many have been sold and are in constant use, I find it difficult to imagine that you'd have any problems whatsoever.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here