using three 8Pre units

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Merlinx4
Primary DAW OS: Windows

using three 8Pre units

Post by Merlinx4 »

I'm attempting to use 3 8Pre devices simultaneously in a windows 7 64 bit laptop utilizing Reaper. the setup is as follows
8pre number one is a firewire unit
8pre number two is a USB unit
8pre number three is also a USB unit

8pre number two is connected to 8pre number one via ADAT
clock is set to 48
unit is visible in the Motu audio console, cuemix and reaper Everything is working

Now I am trying to add the third 8pre, I hook it up to the laptop via USB
Clock is at 48 on this unit too
Its visible in the Motu Audio Console, I can configure it in there fine.
Its visible in the cuemix system but the slides all keep resetting to zero on their own.
Its visible in reaper, as soon as I try to do anything the clock light begins flashing.
I've tried asio4all as the driver, makes no difference.
Is this a clock sync issue? Is there a way around this?
Any ideas?

PS I tried to run an ADAT to the third 8pre for the clock signal, made no difference.

thanks
Terry B
Merlinx4

Re: using three 8Pre units

Post by Merlinx4 »

Well, it would appear that what I"m attempting isn't possible. Perhaps I should just replace the 3rd 8Pre with an 896MKiii hybrid. That would give me my 24 channels I want, allow me to daisy chain two of the 8pre's via ADAT and fix my clocking issue all at the same time.
Merlinx4

Re: using three 8Pre units

Post by Merlinx4 »

Just to close this one out completely. I did return the 3rd 8pre USB unit and purchased an 896MK3 Hybrid to replace it. the new setup is the 896mk3 USB connected to my laptop and configured as master clock. one 8pre connected to ADAT bank A, the other 8pre connected to ADAT bank B. Both 8pre unit are set to clock off ADAT. 4 optical cables are in use, 2 for each 8pre.
When it was first hooked up the 8pre firewire sync'd up immediately, but the 8pre USB had 48khz lit and 44.1 light was flashing. all I did was use the clock setting on the 8pre usb to set the clock to 48khz and the flashing went away. It's sync'd up every time its been turned on since.
First thing I've noticed is the inputs on the 8pre's are noticeably 'hotter'.
I've had to turn down the levels on all the mics.
Looking forward to the weekend and some time to tweak, record and test with the setup.