Motu 8pre standalone dsp

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Commander
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 8pre standalone dsp

Post by Commander »

Hey guys. I'm new to motu/recording interfaces in general. I recently was given a track16. Love it to no end, however, I want to be able to record drums. The 8pre looks good. My question is. Once you program cuemix eq/compressor/reverb etc. on a laptop with the 8pre connected and save those settings, if you disconnect the laptop, and turn off/on the 8pre, will it operate as a standalone unit with those settings set permanently? or does it always have to be connected to the laptop? The reason i ask is a: i'd like to record drums, and b: i'd like to have it sitting next to my kit to replace the mixer that's there, and then people can't go changing settings on me :)

thanks for your help!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 8pre standalone dsp

Post by mikehalloran »

Commander wrote:Hey guys. I'm new to motu/recording interfaces in general. I recently was given a track16. Love it to no end, however, I want to be able to record drums. The 8pre looks good. My question is. Once you program cuemix eq/compressor/reverb etc. on a laptop with the 8pre connected and save those settings, if you disconnect the laptop, and turn off/on the 8pre, will it operate as a standalone unit with those settings set permanently? or does it always have to be connected to the laptop? The reason i ask is a: i'd like to record drums, and b: i'd like to have it sitting next to my kit to replace the mixer that's there, and then people can't go changing settings on me :)

thanks for your help!
What you are telling us is how you want to do something but leaving out exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I'll give it a go.

If what you want is to have it feed your Track16 via the ADAT-8 optical in., an 8pre can do what you want

Find the manual below and read it. Start at page 25 (converter mode) and see if that can work for you.

A list of manuals in .pdf can be found here.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals

The current product is the USB version. If looking at an older, Firewire 8pre, it's under Other legacy hardware products down on the same page.

If you want to something else, this may not be the solution. In that case, tell us exactly what you want to accomplish, not how you want to do it and someone may know the correct answer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Commander
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Motu 8pre standalone dsp

Post by Commander »

Sorry mate, ok, looking at trading in the track16. What I want primarily is a live drum mixer, also a half decent preamp for recording instruments/vocals. Currently the track16 does great recording for vox/instruments. But not enough tracks to record drums. I was going to trade in the track16 for a 8pre IF it holds cuemix settings permanently so i can eq/compress my drum mics in a live setting, without having the laptop hooked up to it (USB).

is that a bit clearer? :)