Word Clock - MOTU 896Mk3 FW versus old faithful Fostex D2424

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
MaleXLR
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Word Clock - MOTU 896Mk3 FW versus old faithful Fostex D2424

Post by MaleXLR »

Hi all,

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere on this forum, but I am putting out a plea to the considerable experience out there.

I have just re-hashed my control room and have my old 896Mk3 FW at the hub.

I would like to simply use it as the master clock and get my Fostex D2424 and some other bits and pieces to slave to it, however I am getting some strange results.

When I change the sample rate with the Audio Console, the Fostex still thinks that it is locked, even though the sample rates are set differently. I also tried the other way around and the MOTU wouldn’t slave to the Fostex. Anyway, I would much rather the 896 be the master so that software is still able to request sample rate changes.

I am pedantic about 75 ohm, cable, connectors, etc., and all termination is correct. Latest firmware, latest drivers, etc.

I have a live road case with two D2424LVs and an 896Mk3 Hybrid. The hybrid happily works as the master and if anything (including termination) is suspect the Fostex’ give me a flashing “clock” indicator to let me know that something is awry! Not so with the control room setup!