Disabling xHCI fixed my USB troubles

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rwandering
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Disabling xHCI fixed my USB troubles

Post by rwandering »

I wanted to throw my hat in the ring for disabling xHCI on newer computers w/native USB 3 support.

Apologies for creating a new thread, but my guess is that this issue impacts every USB MOTU interface, not any particular unit.

In my case, I have run an UltraLite for years and then recently upgraded to an UltraLite mk3 hybrid to get USB support.

I mainly use the interface for audio playback while working, and occasionally for recording/mixing projects.

On the old machine, everything worked pretty well (and identically) for both the old UltraLite and the newer mk3 hybrid on both firewire/USB: pretty solid, but very occasionally the drivers went crazy with all the meters seemingly moving at random.

On the new machine, I would get squeals, pops and drop outs. This would happen very frequently making the interface useless.

Disabling xHCI in the motherboard appears to have completely solved the issue. I expect I'll still have occasional trouble, but I lived with t before so I'm not too worried about it.

FWIW: I'm running Windows 8.1 on an Asus x99 Deluxe with Intel i7-5930 and dual NVidia GeForce 760s.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
number5

Re: Disabling xHCI fixed my USB troubles

Post by number5 »

I thought I would share my experiences over here, I'll spare the details of all the things I have done.

I got an Asus M51AD-NL007S desktop (Win 8.1) about half a year ago. Getting my Ultralite mk3 working on it with USB wasn't easy. Every 60 seconds a lot of noise came from somewhere. Turning off the WIFI did the trick.

Now I replaced the Ultralite with 2 828mk2's to upgrade to more inputes. This time it was even worse; non stop noise with the 3.x drivers, no sound at all with the 4.x. CueMix was acting weird. Solution this time: in BIOS changing Intel xHCI Mode [Smart Auto] -> [Disabled].

:smash: :banghead: :deadhorse:
LA6507

Re: Disabling xHCI fixed my USB troubles

Post by LA6507 »

In December 2014, I built a i7 3790k PC running Win8 64bit Pro on an MSI Z97-G45 motherboard and my MTPAV USB module never worked right (MTC, automation and bi-directional MIDI CC messaging) until I installed an aftermarket PCI Express 2.0 card that only worked at USB 1.1/2.0 speeds. Since then, everything has worked perfectly (3 months so far). My MTPAV USB worked perfectly on a Windows 7 64 bit Dell Precision 670 with no USB 3.0 support, BTW. While troubleshooting this issue several months ago, I also tested my MTP AV on my Dell Precision M4800 Windows 8 64bit i7 Laptop which also has USB 3.0 and it exhibited the same problems as my Windows 8 PC. I think there is definitely an issue with both Intel's and MSFT's USB 3.0 stack drivers that greatly affect legacy USB devices.