Mk3 Ultralite Hybrid and 'special' routing

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
dhstsw
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Mk3 Ultralite Hybrid and 'special' routing

Post by dhstsw »

Hi everybody,
I just got my Ultralite Hybrid and registered on motunation, so, this is also my introduction to you all :)

I come from a yamaha 01x wich i love, but i can't use anymore since the abandon-situation on yamaha side (no working 64bit drivers on vista,7,8 and so on).

After the due headhackes i think i've come around with the Ultralite but stillk i think i'm missing something, so i come here for an advice or confirmation.

In Audio Console, the Main Out Assign is used to have the main out to replicate another stereo couple (or bus): so, for example, i don't undertand the meaning of:

Main Out Assign: Main Out 1-2. (does it replicate itself?).

The Return Assign is to have a return bus (wich can be recorded back) to be feed by another stereo couple, bein it an hardware out or a bus (and that's clear enough).

What i don't really come around is:

I have 7 nice stereo outs (cuemix): i can route audio from my daw (Live 9 btw) to all of those outs. I get some very nice processing and they're sent out of the Ultralite. I can choose wich one(s) to monitor.
But, the whole idea of "monitor" in motu world seems to be adjusting the levels.

What i'd like to do is:

-Use 2 or more stereo couples outs (sending directly audio to them from my daw) and have the processed (EQ and so on).
-Have a monitor return for all of them, where i can actually hear them mixed (in my headfones or main-out [in my case, i uses digital monitor loudspeakers connected to the spfdif-out]).
-Have the whole mix sent to the return bus so i can record it digitally.

The meaning of the whole is to have different audio tracks processed by MOTU and recorded back digitally.

In the 01x there where at least 2 ways to do that: send the single tracks to the 'recording bus' or digitally recording (back) the monitoring bus (wich, yes, was a submix of everything).

Is there a way to do something like that in motu world?

thanks.
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Mk3 Ultralite Hybrid and 'special' routing

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

When Main Out 1-2 is set to Main Out 1-2 it becomes it's own stereo pair. So you have 10 instead of 8. No mirroring.

The simple answer is No. You can only send outputs from your DAW to outputs on your Ultralite. So you cannot really mix with them or rather only with inputs on the hardware. Some MOTU devices do allow this (i.e. Microbook) but it doesn't always work anyway.

What you can do as a work around is loop back outputs into inputs. The S/PDIF is ideal for this but you are already using it. You can do the same with analogue outs and ins and be surprised how little difference it makes to SQ.
dhstsw
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Mk3 Ultralite Hybrid and 'special' routing

Post by dhstsw »

(problem is, i have all the INs occupied too :)).

ok, i'll live with it (even if i think this is a software, non hardware, limit).

Chees.