Motu 896 HD firewire problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Johnjohn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu 896 HD firewire problem

Post by Johnjohn »

Hi there to everyone,

A have a question, what is the exact firewire chip that 896HD use?

TSB41AB2PAP, TSB41AB2PAPG4, TSB41AB2PAPR, TSB41AB2PAPRG4 which one of these is the proper chip to buy and replace to my burned motu??

Please please help...
Johnjohn

Re: Motu 896 HD firewire problem

Post by Johnjohn »

So i send an email to motu and they replied that the chip, if anyone is interested, is the TSB41AB2PAP.

:D
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

Yeah I got me 2 896HD’s that have bad FireWire ports. Otherwise these things never left their rack space, always plugged into a Furman, & have not so much as a scratch.
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

I can’t get any useful info out of tech guys.
They don’t repair 896HD’ s & they don’t give out useful info or share repair manuals. Which they should if they’re not going to even service a simple data port on such a pricey piece of hardware. I was told the FireWire port wasn’t manufactured anymore. But I’m not stupid enough to believe that there’s no solution or alternative, clearly they don’t want to service the units.
Greed: I imagine they think that they’ll force people to buy newer gear but this will surely backfire. Next time I buy a recording set up, computer, software, & multiple interfaces I won’t be buying MOTU. Why should I? I have other gear that is just as or way older & I can get those circuit boards worked on. In fact the guys at Digitech made service recommendations & sold me parts for a 20 year old guitar effect. I have 2 Mac’s just as old as the MOTU’s & way more abused they have functioning ports, I can get parts ect...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You could always contact Black Lion Audio and see if they can do repairs. Those guys have offered mods for those units and probably know the insides of them very intimately and might be able to do do the fix or give you advice on parts or whatever.

http://blacklionaudio.com
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

Thank you very much, I’ll check them out. Really what I want is a MOTU as they originally come but with a quality FireWire port. I’m happy to pay MOTU for my repairs.
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

Johnjohn wrote:So i send an email to motu and they replied that the chip, if anyone is interested, is the TSB41AB2PAP.

:D

Nice
xavier
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by xavier »

While I know that this is an old post...to the OP:

I've got a couple of second-hand 896HD; one works, one with the infamous "dead firewire port" problem. The following image set shows a good one, a bad one, and the transceiver:

https://imgur.com/a/dvU7XGN

If yours has that level of damage to other components, it's probably the victim of a power surge (I am guessing that's what torched mine), and not a "late Vg event" as described here:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slea072a/slea072a.pdf

If you don't have the level of damage mine shows, you are relatively lucky and it's a $6 part to replace it. ;) In my case, it looks like I get to try to figure out the values of various thin-film resistors and diodes...without a schematic. :(