My torment with UltraLite mk3 :( - SOLVED!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
mrbungle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

My torment with UltraLite mk3 :( - SOLVED!

Post by mrbungle »

Have you seen similar problem on Win7 and UltraLite mk3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-VKLcjv9fU
I had similar problems on my previous PC, too. Now I have a new PC, latest MOTU drivers, firmware. On every startup it's about 10-20 minutes while I get sound.
My PC:
Core i7-5820K 3,3GHz 15Mb LGA2011-V3
ASUS X99-A
32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400MHz
ASUS GT630-SL-1GD3-L

I also have a Macbook Air, and UltraLite works on that perfect.

Please help me, because it makes me mad, now I'm thinking on buying another soundcard, but not MOTU again...
Last edited by mrbungle on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbungle

Re: My torment with UltraLite mk3 :(

Post by mrbungle »

33 views but on youtube there is only 2-3 views (totally 10 views now on youtube).
Hmm, strange...
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

After 3 days MOTU supports replied:
------------------------------------------
"Thanks for writing. If you haven't already, please make sure to download and run the installer for driver version 4.0.5.9644. If this doesn't change anything (or if you're already running this driver version), I would recommend repairing your driver installation:
1. Disconnect any MOTU hardware from your computer.
2. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
3. Right-click on "MOTU Hardware" and select "Change".
4. In the MOTU Hardware Setup window that comes up, click "Next" and then "Repair".
5. Restart your computer and reconnect your MOTU hardware.

Is the unit connected via USB? If so, please make sure your computer's BIOS and USB drivers are up to date. Does your computer have USB3 ports?"

My answer:
As you can see it in the video I have the latest drivers (4.0.5.9644). Yes, it's connected via USB, it's also in the video.
It's a new PC, latest BIOS and USB drivers. I've checked on every USB ports (I have USB2 and USB3, too, ASMedia and also Intel).
I attach you a screenshot of my Device Manager page, you can see the MOTU driver and USB controllers ( http://i.imgur.com/jpPDD1b.jpg ).

I tried what you suggested, "repairing" the driver, but didn't help. :( I was hoping it would help because as I remember I installed the MOTU connected to the PC. Maybe I should completely remove the driver and reinstall it... what's your opinion?

What do you suggest, what USB port should I use, USB2 or USB3?"

Maybe you experts in this forum also have an idea? I can't wait to read it...
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

Finally, I think we have found the solution with the help of MOTU support!
It seems I don't have USB2 on my new PC, only USB3. So I disabled it in BIOS, now they work as USB2. Since then on first restart I had sound, of course I will test it more, but it seems it caused the problem!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My torment with UltraLite mk3 :( - SOLVED!

Post by mikehalloran »

Glad you found a solution.

The usb 3/2 issue is weird as they are two different protocols. In fact, they don't use the same wires in the connectors or sockets.

A lot of Mac users find that they have to use powered hubs with certain MOTU devices to get their usb 3 Macs to read their usb 2/1 devices. In fact, some powered hubs now have usb 2 only and usb 3 only sockets because of this.

Since Intel has already announced enhancements to usb, what is strange now may transition to the truly bizarre in the future.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

I still have a problem. I always had this (even with my old PC!), but since it was not so often, I was too lazy to write about it.

So occasionally I have this crackling noise coming from the UltraLite. I've also searched for it and there is an autocomplete for "motu crackling sound" so I don't think it's just for me. I can't figure out what cause it, sometimes I just browse webpages, watching youtube videos, but sometimes I don't have to do anything. :(
ryan h
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by ryan h »

Hi,im glad ive found this post.ive got a similar problem.ive just built a new system with that exact motherboard/asus x99 a.im suffering audio cutouts when the device is connect to one of the so called asmedia usb 2 sockets or infact any of the usb sockets.im at quite a high level of computer knowledge and ive literally exhausted all myoptions of a cure.currently switched all usb 3 off in bios but the problem although seems a little better at first test still occurs.my previous motherboard asus sabretooth 990fx my motu ultralite fine but that board had amd usb sockets.ive messaged motu and asus regarding this but there neither don't say anything I havnt already attempted.infact they both were about as much use as a chocolate teapot.did u find any fix for ur problem?lets put our heads together on this.another thing,this only seems to happen when internet,weither its my pcie wifi card or onboard lan is enabled and in use