Need Help with MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid Audio Interface - No Audio

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
spacev2
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Need Help with MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid Audio Interface - No Audio

Post by spacev2 »

Hello everyone,

I am in need of some urgent help.

I just installed a brand new MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid on Windows 7 64bit connected via usb, The installation went fine.

My problem is that Windows 7 has defaulted the Playback Device & Communication Device to the "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2 - High Definition Audio Device)".

I am using the XLR "Main Out" connection , I have tried setting Windows Playback Device & Communication Device to EVERY option available & none of them are receiving any audio signal , including the Main Out. I even tried variations of setting the Communication Device to something different to the Playback Device , still no audio signals on any of them except for the "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2 - High Definition Audio Device)".

Ive tried everything I can think of , I double checked the CueMix & Audio Console settings & they all look ok to me. I can post screen shots if needed.

Does anyone have experience with this or know how to fix it ? Because im really upset & this has left me short of pocket with money & now no PC audio until I re-install my presonus.

If you need any additional information just ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks.
spacev2

Re: Need Help with MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid Audio Interface - No A

Post by spacev2 »

Update:

The interface decided to work briefly once when I set the default playback & communication device to the "Main Out" (which I was always trying) it seemed to be working as expected , but the db LED meters were not reading the correct levels.

Surely enough after another power off / on im back to having no success. It seems to be having major driver issues as I noticed things dissapearing & reappearing at will in the Windows Playback Devices , Also the firmware updater says it does not even recognise any device is connected. I also noticed the Audio Console is buggy to open sometimes.

Ive concluded its faulty.
spacev2

Post by spacev2 »

Update:

I was using a known working USB 2.0 port & Cable.

A $1000 interface should be fu*king working with USB , theres really no excuse. MOTU is absolute trash guys , seriously not impressed. Its time to send this peice of crap back get a refund & save up so I can be a big boy / RME interface ;)

The S/PDIF signal I was talking about originally seems to be one of Windows default Playback Device's thats in the list as it has not dissapeared from the list after uninstalling the motu, so essentially it it wasn't even related to any MOTU output / the unit was just plain not working, but all ins and outs would appear in the list once the unit was turnt on , so it was getting some recognition from Windows as if the USB port was working to some sort of degree.

Ive had issues with 2 motu travellers in the past & now this 828mk3 hybrid, I wanted to beleive in motu products but now im just clearly staying away from the trash.
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

Are you still there spacev2?

You just need to chill out a bit and start again from the top. There clearly isn't a systematic problem with the drivers. It's something to do with your specific situation. In fact I have a suspicion I know what it is. In any event I will help you if I can.

As a first step.
Make 100% certain you have removed all MOTU related software. Then download and re-install the software package again. Follow the instructions carefully. Plug the 828 in and connect via USB.

Take a screenshot of what you find in Windows > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Playback tab.
Or from within the setup Options in whatever app you are using. Foobar is great for trouble shooting as it's so clear and start instantly.

o.k?