828mk2 USB 2.0 makes a loud buzz noise then loses connection

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ricecrackerbb
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828mk2 USB 2.0 makes a loud buzz noise then loses connection

Post by ricecrackerbb »

I've been using the 828mk2 with no problems in the past, but the recent switch from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 has caused a problem to crop up. When the 828mk2 is on and playing a continuous sound, the speakers randomly emit a loud short buzz noise (kind of high pitched) 10-60 minutes later. The continuous sound that was playing before the loud buzz then stops playing. A quick unplug and replug of the USB connection from the MOTU causes the continuous sound to come back on, but the speakers do the same buzz noise 10-60 minutes later.

The interesting thing is that the 828mk2 and all of its outputs (main outs 1-2, analog 1-2, etc.) show up on the playback devices and the MOTU drivers remain in device manager after the sound stops playing. The green bars move up and down in the playback devices, but nothing shows up on the 828mk2 side.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or has any advice. I've looked through the forums, and I couldn't find a similar situation to mine.

[Edit]
I am running Windows 8.1-64 bit, and the latest driver is installed.

Thank you in advance for your time.