4Pre W7 CueMIX doesn't work and awful noise

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Graggs
Primary DAW OS: Windows

4Pre W7 CueMIX doesn't work and awful noise

Post by Graggs »

Hi guys,
MOTU 4Pre W7

I'm also experiencing what some seem to be reporting; namely that CueMIX doesn't seem to be working. You can move a fader or do pretty much anything and a second or so later, it jumps back to where it was.

I've also tried it on a brand PC with a new install of W7x64 with the latest drivers. No different.

I wonder if it's a communications problem? You are moving a fader, but the software is getting NO feedback from the device and is therefore setting the control back to it's last known position?

I also don't get any audio in Windows (go into control panel -> 'sound' -> Recording Tab -> select MOTU input, properties, -> Listen Tab tick listen box)

If I unplug the USB to the 4Pre and re-plug, I get a few seconds of audio, then the output produces a god awful noise - like a time clock or buffer full and continuously playing last stored data.

Dunno if this helps?
But I had noticed MOTU Audio Console wouldn't work on the new machine.
I just tried the old machine and it wouldn't work there either.

I dunno why, but I just unselected the 'Listen' boxes in the input properties of Windows (see above). NOTE; I had both pairs of inputs ticked, so I unticked both. Unplugged and re-plugged USB and now CueMIX is behaving.

Very random, because I'm sure I tried this earlier?

For a moment I got CueMIX working, then after a reboot it stopped again, so chances are it's unrelated!

I can now see that after a lot of playing, that any application that is 'using' the 4Pre inputs, be that windows 'listening' or anything else effectively stops MOTU Audio Console working. After closing the console, it seems to reset something which causes windows to refresh the devices.

I tried playing about with the settings in the Console, just to get it to do 'something' and once again, I got CueMIX working, until a reboot broke it.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I've tried the same technique, but nothing, it seems very inconsistent.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.
4stripes

Re: 4Pre W7 CueMIX doesn't work and awful noise

Post by 4stripes »

Sounds like the typical, dreaded, and nebulous Windows MOTU hell.

Could be your wifi, LAN, USB, or graphics drivers or combo of those. Disable those in Device Manager, try older versions of them, etc.

See here and many other old threads: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 16#p439877

Unfortunately there's no clear answer other than experimenting with all these items.
Graggs

Re: 4Pre W7 CueMIX doesn't work and awful noise

Post by Graggs »

Thanks 4Stripes, I didn't expect this when I shelled out for the MOTU.
I'll read through the link you posted and see what happens