Traveler mk3 and 8pre clipping Problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Alex_r
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Traveler mk3 and 8pre clipping Problem

Post by Alex_r »

Hey everybody!

In my recent setup I have a traveler mk3 as the master interface and the old Firewire 8pre for additional inputs slaved to the mk3 via ADAT.

I just recently encountered an problem which occured just every now and then in the beginning to all the time right now.

Here's how it goes.
I switch on the mk3, wait for CueMix to load etc. and after everything has loaded, I switch on the 8pre.
On the moment the 8pre switches into converter mode I get clipping from the 8pre Channel 8 Input which completely destorys the CueMix. All you hear is white noise coming through the Mix.
At first this problem occured only on startup and after re-booting the mk3 it went away. After a while, the noise suddenly occured while playing, forcing the band to stop playing and re-booting the mk3.
Right now I just can't seem to get it away. It's just constantly there, no matter in which order I switch on/off my devices etc.

On the 8pre Inputs are just the drum mics, Kick, OHs and Snare. OH need +48V. I've tried everything, from switching off just single mics to every mic, different combinations of PhantomPower on/off, no gain on specific channels etc.

The interesting thing is, as i mentioned before, it occured only on Channel 8 on the 8pre. After muting this specific channel in every mix of CueMix, saving and rebooting, it all went fine. But now, even after muting, it clips and the mk3 goes into "White-Noise-Mode".
CueMix acutally shows a constant peak on every output channel.

Is this more of a 8pre or a mk3 problem or is it time for my 8pre to go?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Alex
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Traveler mk3 and 8pre clipping Problem

Post by HCMarkus »

Where is your clock coming from? Which device is your master?
Alex_r

Post by Alex_r »

Clock is coming from the mk3 via ADAT. So the mk3 is the Master, 8pre the slave.

Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to try to clock the 8pre via Wordclock!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Alex_r wrote:Clock is coming from the mk3 via ADAT. So the mk3 is the Master, 8pre the slave.

Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to try to clock the 8pre via Wordclock!
Don't recall 8Pre having wordclock i/o, but definitely preferred if it is an option.

You could try clocking the Mk3 from the 8Pre via ADAT if problems persist.
Alex_r

Post by Alex_r »

You're right, 8pre does not have a WordClock.
Setting up the 8pre as the Master is not an option, as we need to use the advanced CueMix Options from the traveler mk3.