Surround sound Ultralite mk3 hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
infamy
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Surround sound Ultralite mk3 hybrid

Post by infamy »

Hi guys, i'm just curious if you could help me out with setting up surround sound on the ultralite hybrid on my pc. I want to use the surround sound for watching movies. I have my left and right monitors in analog 1-2, rear left and right analog 3-4 and sub in 5 (no centre). So at the moment i am hearing the same sound coming out of all 4 speakers at the same time. Is there a way to set this up in CueMix, if not any recommended software?
Im using Windows 7 and VLC player.
Thanks
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Surround sound Ultralite mk3 hybrid

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

I'd love to be contradicted on this (anyone?) but I don't think it's possible. You need to decode the audio in hardware, that's ow Dolby maintains it's trademark. There may well be software decoders knocking about but they will be hard to find and probably illegal most places.

It doesn't have to be expensive though. If yo are using a desktop mobo you can take series of 3.5mm > TRS plugs from the built n soundcard to the UL inputs. Or buy a cheap soundcard and do the same trick.

If you have a laptop or want something portable a simple google search will turn up several inexpensive eBay imprt quality options.

Of course you don't really need the UL at all but it does allow hybrid use of your playback system and the ability to create your own mixes, EQ etc.