828MK2 USB issues on XP SP3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
mikemike36
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828MK2 USB issues on XP SP3

Post by mikemike36 »

Firstly Hello (New user) :smash:

I am having some issues with getting a Motu 828MK2 USB working on my system

The issue is as follows -

Sound plays for a second or two then the unit clicks and pops then makes a high pitched buzz then cuts out. At this point what ever I am playing audio in freezes up (meters stop moving) then it will start again and then cut out again. The lights on the front of the unit randomly jump all over the shop whilst it is doing this

I brought the unit second hand off Ebay so initially thought it might be the unit so I installed the same latest universal driver (from the motu site) to a crappy old acer aspire netbook (Vista) and it worked absolutely fine with no issues (didnt even need to uninstall the on board sound drivers) so that ruled out any issues with the unit

We run a USB usage checker and it was running fine (all in the green) whilst playing audio through the MOTU

Have checked USB drivers and they are the latest available from the manufacturer

I am running:

Windows XP SP3 (Fully up to date)
Asus P5NE_SLI
Nvidia nForce 650i SLI SPP chipset
2GB ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 GFX Card

I did see the thread at the top of this forum about this and read through it all but could not see a solution that I could try?

Im thinking it must be some kind of issue with the PC end rather than the Motu end - Did a factory reset on the motu - Its on V1.01 firmware

If anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful

Big up :headbang:
mikemike36
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828MK2 USB issues on XP SP3

Post by mikemike36 »

OK I got it working so thought I would pop back here and reveal the secret in case anyone else is having issues with XP SP3

I sat down and worked my way through every available driver and this one solved the problem immediately:

http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/MOTU ... .6.7.0.zip

So to recap if you are running windows XP sp3 and having drop out issues install that driver and it should work

As yet after 3 days I have had no drop outs

Big up