MOTU 828mk3 ADAT Sync Problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
seedylee
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 828mk3 ADAT Sync Problems

Post by seedylee »

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with a very frustrating sync problem I've been trying to track down for the past few months.

I have an 828mk3 connected to a Behringer ADA8200 via ADAT and a Korg Kronos via TOSLINK. However, no matter what I try, I can not get this combination to work when the 828 is set as the clock master.

If the MOTU 828's clock is set to Internal, and the Kronos and ADA8200 are set to slave, the combination only works if only one of the Kronos or the ADA8200 are turned on. If both the KRONOS and the ADA8200 are turned on, the MOTU receives constant white noise on the ADAT In channels. If the KRONOS or the ADA8200 are turned off, the noise disappears. If the ADAT channels are muted, the noise disappears.

If the 828's clock is set to either slave to the Kronos or the ADA8200, the problem disappears.

I have tried syncing the ADA8200 both via ADAT and Wordclock, both with the same result.

I have tried using the ADA8200 with other equipment with no problems, plus had two replacements from my Behringer dealer to try.

It seems to me that perhaps the 828 is becoming confused by the multiple incoming clocks, even when it is set to use its internal clock. For reference, all equipment is set to 48kHz.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to have to use the ADA8200 as the clock master - but currently this seems like the only viable solution :(
Alex_r
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 828mk3 ADAT Sync Problems

Post by Alex_r »

Hey,

I've encountered a similar problem, maybe this helps (although you alread wrote that I didn't work, not sure on how you did it, anyway, here is my solution):

I had a traveler mk3 as Master, a Behringer ADA8200 and a 8pre as slaves.
With both slaves working, I had a constant pop/crack noise on every channel.

What I did - replaced every ADAT cable with high-end cables and additionaly slaved the Behringer to the mk3 via wordclock - problem solved for me.
So the setup was:
mk3 ADAT1: 8pre
mk3 ADAT2: Behringer
mk3 Wordclock: Behringer

Also you might check for the latest firmware on your interfaces!

Hope this helps a bit!
Cheers
Alex