ASIO drivers only available in Windows 7 Safe Mode

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
hugoazevedo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

ASIO drivers only available in Windows 7 Safe Mode

Post by hugoazevedo »

Hi, there!

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Dell XPS17 (L702X) laptop which I have used for the last 2 years for music recording. However, for the last few days, no audio recording software has been able to detect the ASIO drivers for the audio interface I use (MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid), or any other ASIO driver for that matter.

The laptop produces normal windows sounds and the windows media player plays any mp3 I ask it to play, but the programs that require the use of ASIO drivers (Cubase 5, Console 1.6, etc) cannot detect them. In their ASIO driver selection menu, all it shows is "ASIO Multimedia Driver" (I'm guessing it is windows basic/default driver), but none of the several ASIO drivers I have installed show anymore (MOTU ASIO Driver, ASIO4ALL, etc).I have tried re-installing the device specific ASIO drivers, but to no avail. I have also tried uninstalling all relevant pieces of software that have been installed since I last used it successfully.

Also, I don't think that the problem is in the device specific drivers because when I start windows in Safe Mode, then the programs detect all the ASIO drivers. For this reason, I believe it must be some sort of Windows 7 service/driver that has got it self switched off/corrupted and is impeding the loading/starting of the ASIO drivers when it windows starts in normal mode.

Can anyone please help and shed some light on this?
Maybe on a way to check the health status of the relevant windows services/drivers?

Many thanks in advance!