My computer does not see my MOTU FireWire ultralite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Cgavin
Primary DAW OS: Windows

My computer does not see my MOTU FireWire ultralite

Post by Cgavin »

Hello everybody, I hope someone could help me.
I'v been using Motu Ultralite firewire for a while without any major problems.
Recently I'v bought a new pc and my Motu isn't recognized anymore.
Latest drivers are installed from Motu website but I can't update the firmware as the Motu seems not connected.

When I launch the MOTU SMPTE console, I have this message: "No MOTU audio device detected"
When I launch the MOTU PCI SMPTE Console : "internal AudioWire driver logic error"
When I launch the MOTU PCI Audio Console : "An error has occurred in the audioWire driver: Internal AudioWire driver logic error (15)"
When I launch the MOTU Audio Console : nothing happens
When I launch the CueMix Fx : "no motu audio device that support CueMix found"

Looking at some forums I see there are many threads about firewire compatibility and chipsets. About VIA chipset Vs TI or Lucent chipsets. Also Motu recommends TI chipset. But my last PC was running with a VIA chipset on my previous firewire card without any problems.

My Configuration:

Windows 8.1
Intel Core I7-4790 CPU 3.6 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-A
Card FireWire 400 Chipset VIA VT6315N

The firewire card is listed as working in the windows menu. Everything else is working fine except the MOTU. I test the firewire card with something else and it's working; I need to test my MOTU on another PC but nowadays it's not so easy to find someone with a PC with a firewire card (and my old PC is dead). Anyway it was working well on my previous machine.

Anyone could help me as I can't work anymore and I'm not even sure to solve it by buying a new firewire card or even another sound card (with USB this time!).

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Masaaki

Re: My computer does not see my MOTU FireWire ultralite

Post by Masaaki »

Was your old PC running Win 7, XP, or Win 8?
There are some default firewire driver included in the OS, and many folks use 'Legacy 1394 driver' in Win 7, to be able to connect FW audio interfaces, like Focusrite Saffire series. Focusrite later revised their driver so that Legacy driver wasn't necessary.

There is a way to bring back the legacy driver for Win8, and I can pull out that information for you, but first, we need to know what OS you were running successfully.
Cgavin

Post by Cgavin »

thanks for your response. I was running windows 7
I called MOTU hotline and they told me that there is no compatiblity problem with windows 8
Hope the legacy driver is the key
Cgavin

Post by Cgavin »

can you provide me legacy driver too, I don't find it on internet in 64 bits version
Masaaki

Post by Masaaki »

Here's how Legacy driver is migrated to Win 8.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15505
Cgavin

Post by Cgavin »

many thanks for your help. I will try to find these files but unfortunately not from my old pc which is dead and formated. Anyway thank you. If you have these files somewhere don't hesitate to send me a zip
Cgavin

Post by Cgavin »

I followed the procedure perfectly but it doesn't work with these legacy drivers :?

Does anyone knows if another firewire card with Texas interments chipset will solve my problem for sure?