New motu 828 mk3 hybrid....not impressed!!!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
hutchmethod1
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New motu 828 mk3 hybrid....not impressed!!!!

Post by hutchmethod1 »

I was gutted to have to replace my beloved yamaha 01x because yamaha couldnt be arsed to update the drivers for newer os but was initally impressed with the motu's supposed capabilities and price so i bought one....

firstly, soft start power in audio electronics should be standard, its been around for years and just goes to show off a complete lack of care in the build quality. my active monitors live on as i cant reach the switches and every time i turn on the motu i get 2 horrible clicks from the power and the pc connection.

Secondly the 01x firewire soundcard gave me 16 virtual channels across the firewire so i could use the dsp processing on multiple tracks from the daw simultainiously...fantastic. Motu give me a bunch of digital channels i have no use for and no internal routing options for redirecting them straight to inputs in cue fx for some outboard processing. So then i discover that with 2 optical leads sent out the unit and straight back in i can achieve what i want.... THIS SHOULD BE AN INTERNAL OPTION!!!!!!

thirdly the interface is not intuative at all and on day 1 i nearly killed my active monitors because the system wants to send them 0db this is rediculous. And not very helpful as i have to have my main outs on a low level to save my hearing and speakers that i loose all use of the meter bridge and various audio devices that can only see the low signal.

Fourthly, if your going to make a dedicated controller for cue fx...why does it have to be mac only!!!! And why is the MIDI control side of cue fx so lame, thought i could carry on using 01x as moto MIDI controler with lcd screen and motorised faders but your lack of MIDI design is poor.

I really thought i bought a great bit of kit but i have been sorely disappointed.
rant over, thanks
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New motu 828 mk3 hybrid....not impressed!!!!

Post by HCMarkus »

hutchmethod1 wrote: firstly, soft start power in audio electronics should be standard

Secondly, with 2 optical leads sent out the unit and straight back in i can achieve what i want.... THIS SHOULD BE AN INTERNAL OPTION!!!!!!

thirdly the interface is not intuative at all and on day 1 i nearly killed my active monitors because the system wants to send them 0db this is rediculous..

Fourthly, if your going to make a dedicated controller for cue fx...why does it have to be mac only!!!! And why is the MIDI control side of cue fx so lame, thought i could carry on using 01x as moto MIDI controler with lcd screen and motorised faders but your lack of MIDI design is poor.
1. Pro gear seldom (if ever) provides "soft start". Always turn speakers on last. If you can't reach 'em, connect via a switchable power strip located in a handy spot.

2. Can't disagree here. Sorta' silly on MOTU's part.

3. 0dB is good. Connect via balanced (TRS/XLR) cables and reduce gain at your monitors if necessary. If you want to make it really pleasant to adjust levels, get a dedicated monitor controller.

4. Not sure what your gripe is, but that's just my lack of understanding/knowledge on this point. FYI, we're not MOTU here. Just an independent board run by a really cool mod named James Steele and frequented by a number of very helpful, knowledgeable people.
APADRecordings
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by APADRecordings »

I think you need a careful reading of the instruction manual. You'll find the routing options you want and much more.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you want to make it really pleasant to adjust levels, get a dedicated monitor controller.
This is probably the least expensive, very good monitor controller (I am not normally a fan of Behringer). Although officially discontinued, many still have it. I got mine for $40 on eBay. Street is $69.95 new from dealers who still have it.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MON800.aspx
I think you need a careful reading of the instruction manual. You'll find the routing options you want and much more.
Definitely
...if your going to make a dedicated controller for cue fx...why does it have to be mac only!!!!
That's a good question and one that should be addressed to MOTU. CueMix FX is way cool.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
If you want to make it really pleasant to adjust levels, get a dedicated monitor controller.
This is probably the least expensive, very good monitor controller (I am not normally a fan of Behringer). Although officially discontinued, many still have it. I got mine for $40 on eBay. Street is $69.95 new from dealers who still have it.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MON800.aspx
Or if all you need is level control, the TCElectronic Level Pilot still seems to be available from many places for the same or a lower price ($49.95).
http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Or if all you need is level control, the TCElectronic Level Pilot still seems to be available from many places for the same or a lower price ($49.95). http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/
Absolutely.

I went with the MiniMON for a few reasons: I could use TRS cables, I can switch out my sub when I want and I can add another set of monitors if I like.

I have used the TCElectronic Level Pilot and it is a nice control.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro