MOTU 8Pre's PSU fixing unidentified regulator

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
kaapula
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 8Pre's PSU fixing unidentified regulator

Post by kaapula »

Hello Motunation, I'm new on this forum so I'm sorry if this is not the right area for this question.

I just bought a broken MOTU 8Pre Firewire. It has a 110V-230V autoswitching power supply. I opened the chassis and noticed there is a "U2" regulator (or atleast I think it's a regulator) blew to pieces and I'm quite positive that when I change this regulator to a new one, this interface will become back alive.

The problem is that I can't tell the type of the regulator, because it's so in bad shape and there's not any visible text anymore. The only print is in the PCB that says "U2".

I would appreciate if someone could open up their 8Pre and take a look at the regulator and tell me the type of it.

I've attached few photos of the regulator and the PSU itself.

Thank you!

EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 8Pre's PSU fixing unidentified regulator

Post by EMRR »

Good luck with it, I hope someone can get you the information. I don't know if MOTU would be of any help here or not.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
kaapula
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 8Pre's PSU fixing unidentified regulator

Post by kaapula »

Thanks. Actually it seems that I hurried too much again. I found the missing pieces from the chassis by shaking it, and got the correct type. It is "CM0765R"

I just ordered it from eBay for $4 including shipping. It will take about 1-2 weeks to arrive. I will let you know about the process when I've got the item.