New products: 1248, 8M, 16A ... ASIO question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Joachip
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New products: 1248, 8M, 16A ... ASIO question

Post by Joachip »

The tech specs seem to indicate that Windows 7 support is already dropped, and I noticed another worrying thing: There's no mention of ASIO at all. :shock:

Does anyone know if these products can be daisy-chained together to form one synced ASIO driver entity, the same way the 2480mk3 and 24I/O are able to?
APADRecordings
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: New products: 1248, 8M, 16A ... ASIO question

Post by APADRecordings »

No one knows because there are as yet no drivers for Windows.

These interfaces are plug and play for Apple products. But Microsoft, unfortunately, has fallen way behind in technology with regard to audio. Call it the Ballmer legacy where his sole interest seemed to be selling Microsoft Office. At any rate Microsoft will play catch up for some time (to my chagrin because I refuse to own any Apple product). I believe that even when the Window's drivers are ready there will be some limitations and not all aspects of the interfaces will be fully functional.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I kind of agree, but then again, the tricky situation here is that Microsoft can't really du much about it. Introducing yet another audio API would just clutter the market even more. Sticking to ASIO would seem like the most safe strategy, as this is what all the audio apps support.

The only one who can really decide if these products will work well with Windows is Motu: If they make a daisy-chain capable ASIO driver as good as the one we have for the PCI-424 cards, it will be superb. If not, Windows users will be in trouble if they wish to use these new products.
HotShot

Post by HotShot »

There's a pretty good thread going on over at gearslutz about these new audio interfaces. Reading the entire thread would be pretty informative, and I believe you will see answers to your question there . MOTU employees have also chimed in with informative posts. You might want to go there via the link below:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... rface.html
May a song always touch you in a possitive way!
SONAR X1a Producer
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MOTU UltraLite MK3, Delta 1010LT, KeyStation Pro 88, Shure KSM27, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, 160GB, 350 GB 7200rpm HDDs, QSC K12s, Numark DDS80
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Thanks for the heads-up. Went through all the pages. Sadly there was no info on whether ASIO daisy-chaining was possible or not. I guess time will tell...