UltraLite mk3, Win7 64bit unstable.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
sp4rk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraLite mk3, Win7 64bit unstable.

Post by sp4rk »

Hi!

I have an UltraLite mk3. Latest firmware/drivers on Windows 7 64bit. Tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 motherboard connections.
- Mostly no audio, or high pitch squeak on Main OUT.
- Sometimes Channel OUT 6 squeak, and all other silent.
- After several power cycle, latency change, audio works, but drops out even with low CPU.

Disabled video card HDMI audio.
Disabled onboard Realtek HD audio.
All chipset drivers up to date.
Tried removing/reinstalling USB drivers, MOTU drivers.

This same unit works 100% fine on my MacBook with USB and FW.

CPU: i5 4670K
Motheroard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
VGA: ASUS GTX 760
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance (2X8GB)
SSD: Samsung 120GB 840 EVO (system)
HDD: WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEX (storage)
PSU: Corsair RM650

Ran out of ideas for now, thanks for any help!!
Last edited by sp4rk on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilkinsc

Re: UltraLite mk3, Win7 64bit unstable.

Post by pilkinsc »

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue, spikes on the number 6, occasionally high whistles, no audio. Running the Ultralite hybrid into USB2. Build spec is pretty similar too...

i5 4670k
Asus z87-k
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (2X4GB)
Samsung SSD 250GB (System)
Seagate HDD 2TB (Storage)
Corsair CX600m PSU

So far nothing has helped. I have disabled onboard sound in the bios, disabled USB drivers, disabled all sound drivers, tried different ports, different cables etc. And nothing.

It's been 3 weeks of struggling with it. I spoke to MOTU tech support yesterday and they said they would look into it, so that ticket is still open but nothing yet.

Could it have something to do with the CPU? We're using the same one.

Anyway, I finally bit my lip and bought a firewire PCIe card with TI chipset to try it with that, but if that doesn't help I think it'll be getting trampled in a fit of rage.

Let me know if you have any luck. I'll notify the dude handling my ticket to your post.

Simon
JasonR
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by JasonR »

I had this same problem also, mine was cured by setting BIOS to optimised defaults (HPET set at 64 bit was the cause of the problem for me).

I still have bandwidth/multi tasking issues with the unit but the issues you both have that I also had have now been fixed, 8 days without a single problem where as my PC was crashing 2-3 times every day.

Hope this helps you!
Brinkand

Post by Brinkand »

I recently upgraded from Dell latitude(i5, Win7,32, USB2?) to Dell M4800 (i7, Win7,64, USB3). Before upgrade, my Ultralite MKIII worked great over USB. Now, I have different problems:
- Analog audio input shows up in Ultralite display, but not in CueMixFX. I can control hardware settings like pad and phantom power from the CueMixFX and CueMixFX closes down when cable is disconnected.
- I usually reinstall drivers and disconnect the hardware a few times to get a connecting. When this finally works I get this:
- recording works (hurra!) Playback filled with pops. Playback sound like wow and flutter on an old tape deck with no capstain once in a while.
- I see no difference between side mounted USB3 ports and back mounted USB2 port.
I hope this is useful to MOTU developers. There must be a simple solution to this!
Brinkand

Post by Brinkand »

To follow up on my last post: Further bug reporting. No answers in this post.
I did a reboot of the laptop with the UCB cable in one USB3 port. CueMixFX starts, not sound entering Cuemix. Unplug and replug USB: No change. Second retry: Now audio is available from Ultralit to Cuemix but clicks, wow and flutter present. Third retry: No sound coming into Cuemix. Also some static "signal levels" in the meters tab. Fourth same as second.
Brinkand

Post by Brinkand »

Workaround found:
I went to BIOS and disabled USB3.0. Now I can connect to the ultralite every time, click and old tape deck is gone. Note, I use firmware 1.0.6, which should work with USB3.0. PC side: MOTU Universal Audio Installer 4.0.5.9644
I only consider this a workaround since I obviously have no USB3.0 anymore. But at least I can make music again.
Hope this helps somebody else.
sp4rk

Post by sp4rk »

Setting HPET to "Disable" in BIOS did not help for me.
My BIOS does not have a feature to turn off USB3.0, so could not try.

Also about to get a PCIe Firewire card. Pilkinsc please report if you had any luck with it.

Thanks!
sp4rk

Post by sp4rk »

I've got myself an ADS PCI firewire card with TI chipset (very cheap used), and the Ultralite works flawlessly now.
So i won't bother with USB for a while...
dtr

Post by dtr »

Same here. Brand new homebuilt system.

i5 4690k
gigabyte ga-z87x-oc mobo
win 7 pro 64bit
ultralite mk3 latest firmware and drivers

Whether audio will work is Russian roulette. Sometimes while booting Windows sound will already hang in this high pitched tone. Sometimes the Windows volume meter shows it's playing but nothing in Cue Mix or on the device. When it hangs channel 6 shows loud output on the meter.

I didn't want to sacrifice a PCIe slot for a FW card in this system but I guess I'll have too. Have a Sonnet card lying around. Will try whether I can disable USB3 first.
dtr

Post by dtr »

No settings for HPET or USB3 in my mobo's BIOS...
dtr

Post by dtr »

In a first quick test firewire seems to work fine indeed. MOTU better get their act together on this one...
dtr

Post by dtr »

And I had a system hang using firewire. The whole system froze, the high pitch tone sounded and the chan 6 meter went all the way up.
Steevio

Post by Steevio »

I have exactly the same issue,

ASUS i5 laptop with windows 7 64bit, Ultralite Mk3 hybrid, high pitched whine on channel 6, no other sound etc etc..

I also do not have the option of disabling USB 3.0 in my BIOS, or optimising defaults of HPET.

Has there been any more developments on this with you guys ?

ASUS suggested i flash my BIOS with latest BIOS, i'm a bit worried about doing that as i have a gig next week. I didnt get much help from MOTU tech support other than they think its a USB chipset problem.

they did suggest i try a USB 2 powered hub in my USB 2 port, which i havent tried yet as i dont have one.

Its a brand new card, i find it hard to believe that if this was a known problem a while back, there hasnt been a solution yet.
dtr

Post by dtr »

Here's the response I got from MOTU:
Regarding firewire, there's a known issue with firewire on Windows 7 that can be resolved using the instructions from this MOTU Tech Note. Does this happen in another web browser as well?

Regarding USB, there can be issues running USB2.0 devices (like the UltraLite-mk3) into computers with USB3 chipsets on-board. Try the following:
Update your motherboard's BIOS system if available,
Update your computer's USB drivers,
Disable USB functionality in your motherboard's BIOS.

Could you pass along the specific model of USB chipset you're running?
I haven't pursued it further as FW seems to be working fine for me now and I 've been too busy to debug this.
scallionflame

Post by scallionflame »

I think I may have a similar problem..

I'm running an Audio Express 6x6 with Win 7 64 on an Asrock Z97 Killer
and a 4790k.

The motu's levels can be changed as I like but as soon as I start cuemix, they top out and I am unable to lower the volume.

I'm using USB. I've tried diabling usb 3 in the BIOS as well as everythign else suggested above.

Is there a solution to this madness?

C'mon Moto.... :banghead: