PC freezing / crashing with Motu Ultralite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
JasonR
Primary DAW OS: Windows

PC freezing / crashing with Motu Ultralite

Post by JasonR »

Hello, first time post for me here.

Here is a description of a problem I am having

Sonar X3 DAW open, doing collaboration on-line, during on line collab if I switch pages, carry out tasks etc, will keep getting severe audio glitches, with several audio dropouts and then eventually the whole computer will completely freeze and have to turn off and back on (which takes ages). Interestingly analogue output 6 will have a maxed out level reading though this channel is not used. All the time I am using the DAW completely by itself all is fine (though multitasking within different programs will cause dropouts. Lastly windows media player has issues with my Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid also.

My Focusrite VRM box will run faultlessly in all situations (can play different sound sources at the same time that Ultralite has never ever been able to do. Connected via FW or USB is same result.

Very frustrating that this is happening as VRM runs faultlessly and even watching You Tube videos can be a pain, connected via ethernet cable and not wirelessly if that helps.

Any ideas, drivers, settings !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PC Windows 7 64 bit
Asus x58 MB
12GB Ram
Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid
Last edited by JasonR on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonR

Re: PC freezing / crashing with Motu Ultralite

Post by JasonR »

Is it worth trying to switch the driver to back to legacy mode

1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Out of the above 3 choices I have which one is the most stable

" Tried all different drivers, no change"
Last edited by JasonR on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonR

Post by JasonR »

MOTU Ultralite mk3 Hybrid, now on my 3rd replacement and troubles with this unit as well. Stuttering , pops clicks, resetting itself, all via USB or Firewire through DAW or Windows Media Player.Support can't get to the bottom of this, it is not a PC problem, my Focusrite works perfectly. Who else is experiencing trouble with theirs?

Anyone got any ideas, I have tried everything from within DAW to services in Windows and everything else I can think of. It has to be a MOTU problem as the Focusrite works perfectly
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I don't know because I'm a Mac user, but perhaps it is a driver issue. Sorry I'm not of more help. PCs are weird sometimes because of the variations in motherboards and chipsets, etc. Not trying to let MOTU off the hook here. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
JasonR

Post by JasonR »

Thanks

Though I state my Focusrite has no problems I am not entirely putting the blame on the MOTU, there may be a conflict somewhere or something else, or maybe it is the MOTU. It is very frustrating, I am at about 20% work rate here while these problems persist while trying to solve the issue.