MOTU 8pre USB / CueMix faders+knobs reset themselves!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
xenosapien
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 8pre USB / CueMix faders+knobs reset themselves!

Post by xenosapien »

Hello everyone,

I currently have a REALLY frustrating, confusing and infuriationg problem:

I am running Windows 7 64bit and use a MOTU 8pre USB. Up until a couple of days ago, everything was smooth sailing, and then -I don´t know IF or WHAT I changed!- all of a sudden, CueMix just REFUSES to work properly!

Or it is (and I hope it isn´t) the MOTU unit itself.

Here is what happens:
I open up CueMix because I am not getting any sound (usually I had forgotten to un-mute the master fader or something along those lines, that has happened before)...

And I notice all faders / pan pots are in weird positions... mostly either ALL turned down or panned all the way to the left/right. sometimes all faders are up, and the solo or mute lights on some or all channels are on.

THESE ARE ALL CHANGES I DID NOT MAKE.

And what´s worse: no matter which slider I move - it automatically resets to the previous state in a matter of seconds. Usually 1-3 seconds, not right away.

I have tried to eliminate all known (to me) problems: turned off everything wireless/bluetooth, disabled/unplugged all other USB/MIDI or Audio devices, uninstalled/reinstalled/repaired MOTU drivers and software... all with countless reboots in between... hardware reset on the 8pre itself, more than once...

nothing helps!!

funny thing is: the settings inside CueMix will randomly change each time I power on the unit/connect USB... but also, most of the time I get no sound any more...

I´m running out of options here, and I think I might have to send in my unit as defective... I´m hoping anyone here has a solution I overlooked?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Martin
xenosapien

Re: MOTU 8pre USB / CueMix faders+knobs reset themselves!

Post by xenosapien »

quick update: just checked it on my older laptop (also win7) and it works fine there!
turntablejunky

Post by turntablejunky »

I have a similar issue with 4Pre and CUE MIX.

Faders & Knobs keep resetting to 0. That means if I turn the gain knobs up, they go back down in 1 second. If I move the volume faders up, they return back down in 1 second.

Need help with this please. Not sure what is the problem here.

Thank you,
Andrej
lyinawake

Post by lyinawake »

Having the same issue with our 4pre's. We have 4 of them and they all do this from time to time. It's usually fixed by a reboot, but our latest install never seems to allow volume slider control.
Graggs

Post by Graggs »

For the record, I am seeing the same thing on a 4Pre.
I've also tried it on a brand PC with a new install of W7x64 with the latest drivers.

I wonder if it's a communications problem? You are moving a fader, but the software is getting NO feedback from the device and is therefore setting the control back to it's last known position?

I also don't get any audio in Windows (go into control panel -> 'sound' -> Recording Tab -> select MOTU input, properties, -> Listen Tab tick listen box)

If I unplug the USB and re-plug, I get a few seconds of audio, then the output produces a god awful noise - like a time clock or buffer full and continuously playing last stored data.

Dunno if this helps?
But I had noticed MOTU Audio Console wouldn't work on the new machine.
I just tried the old machine and it wouldn't work there either.

I dunno why, but I just unselected the 'Listen' boxes in the input properties (see above). NOTE; I had both pairs of inputs ticked, so I unticked both. Unplugged and re-plugged USB and now CueMIX is behaving.

Very random, because I'm sure I tried this earlier?

I had come here to try to find some general troubleshooting help!

You can pretty much ignore this! It worked until I rebooted and now it's back to the way it was... sorry guys
scallionflame

Post by scallionflame »

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet??

My Moto Audio Express 6x6 functioned perfectly until a month ago.

Can anyone help?

I'm running Win 7 64 using USB2 connector.

Any help MUCH appreciated........ :banghead:
Re8et
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Re8et »

I have the same problem now
but I have a Ultralite Mk2 connected and powered by firewire

I don't know what is going on, faders reset themselfes, output reset to no output

My daw works fine, cuemix was configured to reroute main output
to one analog channel for desktop recording
My daw works fine, and it was receiving the desktop output

Now I needed to record my mic but I can't do it
It don't know if some weird loopback is involved

When I toggle loopback on, my faders in cuemix works, but I see no input
with my mic (which is working, cables included)

A reboot did not help.

Does anybody know if there is a public bank of presets available for cuemix?
I can't work, this is frustrating.

:banghead:
hornswaggler77

Post by hornswaggler77 »

I am getting this issue running a MOTO Audio Express via USB.

I can adjust the trim but the volume slider is maxed and returns to it's top position of it's own accord a second after lowering it.

Has anyone worked out what this is?

Thanks.
Tommyz

Post by Tommyz »

Hey all,

Registered to MN just for this. I have been having this issue on and off and figured out what cause it, in my situation at least: when my 828mkII is set to external clock (SPDIF in this case) and the clock isn't there, CueMix goes wonky.

Using internal clock or connecting the external unit fixes it.