Problem with setup, and Q about making a change

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
RiffWraith
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Problem with setup, and Q about making a change

Post by RiffWraith »

Hi all. Let me explain my setup first, so we are hopefully on the same page.

I have a W7 Ult. 64-bit computer, where I run Cubase. A micro express is hooked to that computer via USB. When I play my MIDI kbd, the MIDI data is recorded into Cubase; no issues there. One of the MIDI outs is going to an older MOTU MIDI Timepiece, which is then hooked parallel to a WinXP computer. That XP computer has a Blackmagic Decklink card, the ops of which feed an external monitor. I also run Cubase there (I have two dongles). The XP computer sees MIDI TC which is generated from the W7 computer, XP Cubase locks to it, and video plays in sync with the W7 computer. So it is:

W7 computer > micro express USB
micro express MIDI out > timepiece MIDI in
Timepiece parallel > XP computer
W7 Cubase generates MIDI TC
MIDI TC passes through both MOTUs
XP Cubase sees MIDI TC, and locks in sync to W7 Cubase

This has all been working fine until about a week ago.

1) Sometimes XP Cubase does not see the timepiece, even tho a) the timepiece was powered on before the computer, and b) the timepiece is shown in the device manager.

2) Sometimes I can get XP Cubase to see the timepiece, but Cubase does not lock to it - it just remains idle

3) Sometimes I can get XP Cubase to see the timepiece, and Cubase locks to it fine - but only for a limited time. After a while (it varies), Cubase stutters along, and has a problem locking.

Here is what I have done so far:

- Reset the timepiece to factory defaults (held the panic button while powering on)
- Swapped the parallel cable
- Ensured that the synchronization setups in both Cubases were correct (MIDI ports, etc.)
- Ensured both Cubases are set to the same framerate in their respective project setups

So, here is what I am wondering:

1) Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, and/or any suggestions on what else I can do that I have not yet done?

2) I can pick up another USB micro express for around $50, which I dont mind doing if I have to. I am thinking about trying the same method as above, swapping the timepiece for the new micro express, and then hooking that guy up to another computer USB:

W7 computer > micro express USB 1
micro express USB 1 MIDI out > micro express USB 2 MIDI in
micro express USB 2 > 2nd W7 computer
W7 Cubase generates MIDI TC
MIDI TC passes through both MOTUs
Cubase on 2nd W7 computer sees MIDI TC, and locks in sync to W7 Cubase

- will that work?

Thanks in advance.