MOTU 2408 Mk3 + MOTU 24i/o + PCIe 424 + BLA Microclock Mk2 !

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
papawise
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 2408 Mk3 + MOTU 24i/o + PCIe 424 + BLA Microclock Mk2 !

Post by papawise »

Hello guys,
this is my very first post,

I'm almost decided in pull the trigger in the following setup:

- MOTU 2408 MK3
- MOTU 24 i/o
- MOTU MIDI Express 128
- MOTU PCIe-424 card
- BLA Micro Clock MK2

Everything running in Windows 7 Ultimate (64b) + Ableton Live 9 (64b)

- Would you change something?
- Did you try something similar without issues?
- Will the Ableton recognize 32 channels INS and OUT or 24?
- Will the Ableton recognize the 3 units (2 audio + 1 MIDI)?
- What do you think about the quality of the knob volume/monitor controller of the 2408 MK3?

Please additional comments about this configuration, will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.
best regards.
Alex.
Fashion is temporal, Style is forever.
papawise

Re: MOTU 2408 Mk3 + MOTU 24i/o + PCIe 424 + BLA Microclock M

Post by papawise »

none experienced MOTU user ¿?
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Sometimes people don't see this right away. The only comment I might make is that you might hold off on the Microclock as there's some debate whether external word clock will result in any improvement over the internal clock in your interface or on your PCIe-424.

The other issue you should consider, is whether you want to go with a PCIe-424 system as opposed to Firewire or Thunderbolt. This may be a much different situation because you're a PC user, but for Mac users like me it's a considering since the new MacPros do not have PCIe slots and the PCIe-424 card will not work in a Thunderbolt-to-PCIe expansion chassis.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
papawise

Post by papawise »

hey James!,
thanks for your soon reply
I can relax, I use PC and I'm confortable with it.

Yes, I heard some negative comments about the external clocks, so I guess that I will take the common way and order only the 3 MOTU Interfaces.

$2.100 for a total of 32 TRS 1/4" INPUTS/OUTPUTS and 128 MIDI channels sounds no less than great(!)

What do you think about the volume control in the 2408mk3 it's good? works well? it's accurate?

and the last one, will the 2408mk3+24io shows as 32 analog INs/OUTs in my DAW ? :?:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

papawise wrote:Yes, I heard some negative comments about the external clocks, so I guess that I will take the common way and order only the 3 MOTU Interfaces.
Well it IS the subject of much debate. Many people I respect have said that unless the internal clock in your audio interface (or PCIe-424 card) is REALLY bad, you won't gain anything from an external clock. I have a Lucid GENx192 that I no longer turn on anymore. I went back to clocking off the internal lock of my HD192.

What do you think about the volume control in the 2408mk3 it's good? works well? it's accurate?
I don't own one so I really can't say. :(

...and the last one, will the 2408mk3+24io shows as 32 analog INs/OUTs in my DAW ? :?:
I'm a Mac user, but that said, that's how it works on the Mac. You should be able to see all of the analog ins/outs from both interfaces.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
papawise

Post by papawise »

thanks man!

Finally I get the conclusion that much of the gear marketed it's all about the hype.

External Clocks, ITB/OTB, high quality converters, etc
with the exception when the majority agree, for example, the majority always concensus about that Analog synths still sounds better than plugins, but beyond that, many hype in this industry. Of course some of you could think different, but I guess I will focus more in making music now that I decided what I will get.

cheers!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

papawise wrote:What do you think about the volume control in the 2408mk3 it's good? works well? it's accurate?
I can only think of the front panel knob, which controls the main output pair. If you send out a 0dBFS peaking signal, the knob has to be turned down to an unspecified point to avoid overload, as the analog output stage has no headroom to compensate for the additional gain available on that knob. If you use that as you main monitor path for mixing, you will need to calibrate manually with tones to avoid distortion. That's all I can say about it.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
papawise

Post by papawise »