Prob. w/896HD and Pre 8 not changing sample rate.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
pdlstl
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Prob. w/896HD and Pre 8 not changing sample rate.

Post by pdlstl »

I've been running an 896HD and a Pre 8 connected via optical to have a total of 16 inputs, all of which can be used at the same time. This setup has been working perfectly for over a year.

I record at 48kHz and 24 bit depth. Up until a week ago, as I would work in SONAR, recording and playback occurred perfectly both tempo and pitch wise. Then when I would playback a CD, an mp3 or even videos my MOTU units would automatically switch to 44.1kHz and playback would occur correctly. When moving back to a work file in SONAR they would then revert back to the 48kHz. Everything was great!

But as I said, about a week ago something happened and recording and playback in SONAR (at 48kHz/24bit depth) performs just as it should. However, now when I playback a CD. mp3 video etc, the MOTUs don't switch to 44.1kHz and the playback is higher in pitch as you would expect when playing a file that is dithered to 44.1 kHz through converters set to 48kHz. I can change the resolution back and forth between 44.1 and 48 in the MOTU software but the lights don't change on the face of the units and CD's etc. still don't play at the correct pitch.

This problem doesn't stop me from recording/working but it's a drag when I burn the client a CD and we go to listen to it and it a little faster and higher pitched. That same CD plays fine in any other player because it was dithered down to 44.1/16.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Earl
4stripes

Re: Prob. w/896HD and Pre 8 not changing sample rate.

Post by 4stripes »

Playing a CD from what? Software on the computer the MOTU is connected to or an SPDIF source like a real CD player?

There's no reason the MOTU would 'know' what audio you're playing on your computer or switch sample rate automatically. The only way to get close is to use it on external clock and change whatever is your master.
pdlstl

Post by pdlstl »

Thanks for the reply.

When playing a CD from the CD drive in my computer. Never had a problem before.

If the MOTU doesn't switch to 44.1 automatically when playing back a file (CD, mp3 or other), what could be the possible cause(s) of the file playing back slightly faster and higher in pitch than when originally recorded?

I'm up to try anything.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

If your interface is set to 48, and you play something that's 44.1, then then that audio may sound sped up, because it is 44.1 being played at 48.

CD playback isn't a 'file.' It's a realtime stream off the CD.

You didn't mention what software you play the CD from, that would be useful.
Last edited by 4stripes on Thu May 15, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdlstl

Post by pdlstl »

Windows Media Player
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Non-ASIO apps (anything that's not a DAW), use Windows system audio control panel for playback drivers (the WDM driver model vs ASIO model).

You need to set Windows Control Panel Sound Playback to your desired sample rate.

You can set your DAW (ASIO driver) to a different sample rate.

Therefore, Windows apps could play a different rate than your DAW, by nature of using two different driver models.
Last edited by 4stripes on Thu May 15, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdlstl

Post by pdlstl »

Thank you! I will give this a go when I head down to the studio this evening. Will report back.