using SPDIF output as mainout insert?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
stjohn
Primary DAW OS: Windows

using SPDIF output as mainout insert?

Post by stjohn »

Hey All,

I wonder if you guys could help. So I'm using an EQ appended to my Motu Ultralike mk3 - simply as a room EQ.

In Cuemix FX I have it set up so Bus one is set to 'Main 1-2'. So at this point I'm unsure exactly what that setting means, but for my purposes, it works, by setting Output to 11/12 in my DAW. I get sound that runs through my EQ..fine..

My question is, is there anyway I can set it up in Cuemix, so that I dont have to do this routing, because at the moment, my master control on the Ultralite is defunct, and I like to control the hardware, and not to make various settings on different bits of software..

What you reckon? Is there another possibility..? Many thanks.

4stripes

Re: using SPDIF output as mainout insert?

Post by 4stripes »

Not really sure what you want to do. You don't mention SPDIF in your post. It's not clear if you are referring to an external EQ or the CueMix EQ. Anyway, this might help...

Mixers have channels and buses. Channels > bus > output. That's how the signal flow of a mixer works.

What that setting means is that BUS 1 is going to output MAIN. There are many buses in CueMix, and they can all have a different mix of channels, and feed a different outputs.

MAIN and PHONES levels can be controlled by the front panel encoder. If that encoder is physically busted, obviously you cannot control levels with it.

However, if you think about it, there are other volume controllers on the front of the MOTU. The VALUE knob can control levels of any CueMix function.

So what you could do is just find the function you want to control (say BUS 1) and change the level of the bus directly with the VALUE knob. We'd consider that a workaround, but more or less the same end result.

Unrelated, but you can naturally patch the SPDIF output back into the SPDIF input if you needed to do something with that.
stjohn

Re: using SPDIF output as mainout insert?

Post by stjohn »

thanks for the help 4Stipes. you are right - I omitted that i was using SPDIF to send to the EQ, and back into the Ultralite.

I guess it wasnt exactly clear why I was routing things around. I guess the layout makes it seem like im taking an input, rather than sending that bus track to Main 1/2.

After playing around with it, I figured out that assigning the monitor level to the Main Outs gave me back control of the Master encoder on the front panel!! RESULT!!

thanks again for the tips!