Help!!! Motu mtp av usb MIDI nightmare in protools 10.3.7

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
motumusician
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Help!!! Motu mtp av usb MIDI nightmare in protools 10.3.7

Post by motumusician »

Hey all,

So after another user suggested this site, I have arrived lol... This is basically a re-incarnation of a prior thread on another site... Basically having the same issues again, as follows: I can play MIDI via my controller coming into any input on my MOTU MIDI TIMEPIECE MTP AV USB & both the unit (as well as ProTools) will see the data coming in and allow me to play any INTERNAL RTAS instruments... But ProTools will NOT allow me to send MIDI data out to any external hardware synths connected to any of the MIDI out ports on the MTP AV USB (& eventually it freezes & crashes if I try to re-click on the box that selects the MIDI output port/channel on the MIDI track). I had this same issue with the newest MIDI EXPRESS XT USB (the top of the line one), I have tried absolutely everything & have found NO workaround, yet (for reasons unknown to myself ) I do not experience this issue on my (much older) Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (late 2008, unibody)... And my unit does have the "M/W" code on the bottom label, which means it should work fine on PC (and it clearly states "USB*MACINTOSH*WINDOWS COMPATIBLE" in bold white print, right on the front of the unit). Some would say "just use the mac", but my laptop is not half as powerful as my PC (specs are in my signature), the majority of my plugins & vst synths/etc are in PC format & I don't have the money to spend thousands of dollars on a comparatively powerful MAC tower (in addition to re-purchasing countless plugins in mac format). Bottom line, this unit is supposed to be compatible with PC, yet ProTools won't work correctly with it on my PC (while it works fine on my MAC, convincing me that nothing is wrong with the MTP AV USB unit itself).

I cannot even remember when I first started having this issue, but this is honestly the most annoying issue I think I have ever run into with ProTools & it puts me at a standstill because I have SEVERAL external modules/etc that I really want to use in my sessions but I can't (thanks to this ongoing issue). I use MOTU audio interfaces (2408mkiii/24io), neither of which have MIDI ports, so I honestly cannot even get MIDI into my computer if I don't use the MTP (as of right now). And as luck would have it, by the time I started experiencing this issue, Avid changed everything around where you have to pay like $75 to speak with someone from tech support over the phone. I bought the MTP as a means of having 8 separate output ports for my abundance of external MIDI gear & I feel like it was pointless as it only seems to work properly on my MAC (which I am not using for music production). Called Motu, they were of course useless in resolving the issue. Does ANYONE know of a fix for this issue or can anyone at least confirm another 8 port USB/FIREWIRE/ETHERNET/ESATA/ETCETCETC MIDI interface that works properly with protools 10.3.7 & up (on Windows 7 x64, assuming that ProTools just doesn't like the MOTU units [which would really be ridiculous as MOTU seems to be the only current manufacturer of MIDI interfaces with 8 ports on them])???? I've tried my absolute best to be patient but i'm seriously at the end of my rope at this point. I'm revisiting an ongoing issue here, but i'm TRULY hoping someone might know of a resolution. I have already turned off USB selective suspend (as well as all power management for USB hubs in device manager), I have already run protools as an administrator, I have already adjusted the MIDI thru, I have tried hooking the MTP up to a powered USB 2.0 hub (built-in to/powered by my monitor) then running from the monitor to a USB port on my computer, I have tried adjusting the routings in clockworks (to where input 1 goes to output 1), etc.etc.etc... I have done everything I can think of (in addition to various suggestions on google) & cannot get past this issue. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

-motumusician
Last edited by motumusician on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motumusician

Re: Help!!! Motu mtp av usb MIDI nightmare in protools 10.3.

Post by motumusician »

Thanks for the helpful advice, guys! So glad I took my buddies advice by posting over here
gihaume

Post by gihaume »

Hello,

I'm also having problems with the USB MIDI OUTs of the Express XT USB old and new models and Micro Express USB new model. I also have the Express 128 and Micro Lite and they don't have this problem. I have several pieces of each model.

I made many tests and the final result is undoubtedly a problem regarding the MOTU's drivers and Ableton Live (9 the most) on Windows (7 at least).
I tried Live (8 and 9) on OSX and there wasn't any problem at all. I tried FL Studio on Windows and there wasn't any problem. I tried on 3 different Windows 7 computers. I asked a friend which has an XT with OSX to try with its PC and he had the same issue. And many other things.

I sent a support tech note to MOTU and they well replied, but say they aren't able to reproduce the issue.

I'm still hoping they will repair the issue a day.

So now, regarding your problem, it seems that there could also be a problem with Pro Tools...

Did you tried to reset the unit? If that doesn't make it work correctly, that should be the bug I explained before, because normally the unit is plug'n'play regarding its USB MIDI feature.
motumusician

Post by motumusician »

gihaume wrote:Hello,

I'm also having problems with the USB MIDI OUTs of the Express XT USB old and new models and Micro Express USB new model. I also have the Express 128 and Micro Lite and they don't have this problem. I have several pieces of each model.

I made many tests and the final result is undoubtedly a problem regarding the MOTU's drivers and Ableton Live (9 the most) on Windows (7 at least).
I tried Live (8 and 9) on OSX and there wasn't any problem at all. I tried FL Studio on Windows and there wasn't any problem. I tried on 3 different Windows 7 computers. I asked a friend which has an XT with OSX to try with its PC and he had the same issue. And many other things.

I sent a support tech note to MOTU and they well replied, but say they aren't able to reproduce the issue.

I'm still hoping they will repair the issue a day.

So now, regarding your problem, it seems that there could also be a problem with Pro Tools...

Did you tried to reset the unit? If that doesn't make it work correctly, that should be the bug I explained before, because normally the unit is plug'n'play regarding its USB MIDI feature.

======

Thanks for the reply, gihaume! Sorry to hear that you too are having problems. In a strange way, that actually makes me feel a little better tho because it sounds like i'm not the only one (up until I saw your message, I almost thought I was)! I have reset the MTP AV USB multiple times+restored factory settings & I have tried every version of clockworks as well but i'm still running into the same issues sadly. So, if I understand you correctly, your XT outputs are not sending MIDI when you're in your DAW??? But the Express 128 is not having this same issue? I never tried that model as I only had the MTP AV USB and the Express XT USB newest versions... Guess its something in the electronics within the top-of-the-line versions that does not agree with Windows 7, from what it sounds like! 1 strange thing tho is that I used MIDI-OX (which runs standalone/outside of protools) to load/store some patches & that worked flawlessly. So i'm guessing the DAW must play a key role in the issues i'm experiencing. If worse comes to worse, I guess i'll have to just get rid of it & go for the Express 128 version with crossed fingers! Almost grabbed a MIDISPORT the other day but somebody beat me to it (I was hesitating since I've heard rumors that the MIDISPORT has been having problems with ProTools 10 & up smh)
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

motumusician wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice, guys! So glad I took my buddies advice by posting over here
Maybe it's because there are mostly Mac-based DP users here and not very many Windows PT users. Have you considered that? But thanks for your sarcastic post. :shake:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
motumusician

Post by motumusician »

James Steele wrote:
motumusician wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice, guys! So glad I took my buddies advice by posting over here
Maybe it's because there are mostly Mac-based DP users here and not very many Windows PT users. Have you considered that? But thanks for your sarcastic post. :shake:
James,

With all due respect/regardless of the fact that I don't know you & you DEFINITELY don't know me: When I joined this site, I left my psychic abilities at the door... Upon joining, I was not greeted by a full screen banner nor a grand flashing announcement indicating that most people on this site are "Mac-based DP users". As snobby as some "MAC" users can be, I probably still would have posted anyway even if I did see such an announcement because not ALL "MAC" users are snobs & 1 bad apple does not spoil the entire basket. Furthermore, the person who made the suggestion for me to post on this site made the suggestion after already realizing that i'm on PC (+ using PROTOOLS). So common sense tells me that he probably wouldn't have suggested for me to post on here if it was ONLY "Mac-based DP users" who had no experience with PC/Protools & thus would not be of any help... Quite the contrary: He said (and I quote) "You really should post about this over in Motunation; they're a pretty helpful bunch over there if you can excuse some of the outsize egos"... Looks like at least part of his suggestion was valid. Nonetheless, I didn't post over here to be ignored, nor talked down to. I posted over here to hopefully get answers & find resolution to an ongoing issue with a MOTU product (regardless of what DAW/ i'm using &/or what Operating System I may be on). The website is called "motunation", so anyone with half a brain would probably assume that it has something to do with MOTU products, & they would NOT assume that they would be discriminated against & ignored based off the OS/DAW they use... Sadly, I think my friend led me in the wrong direction because thus far this site (including your post) has been of no help. Nonetheless, thank you for shedding light on the fact that most people on this site are "Mac-based DP users". You learn something new every day & I guess I will just pretend like your post actually helped me to resolve the issue I inquired about in the 1st place

-motumusician
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No outsized egos. Just that we don't as a rule humor new people who show up here with attitudes, or feel it necessary to endure snarky and rude posts, like your sarcastic snipe. You don't like it, too bad. Now have a nice day! :D

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
motumusician

Post by motumusician »

James Steele wrote:No outsized egos. Just that we don't as a rule bother with people who show up here with attitudes, or feel it necessary to be snarky and rude, like your sarcastic post indicated. You don't like it, too bad. Now have a nice day! :D

Well James, as old as you are, i'm sure you've heard the saying plenty of times in regards to opinions (everybody has them)... So i'm not sure exactly what you're opinionated definition of "attitudes" is, but i'm assuming you must be referring to yourself because neither I nor the one helpful person who actually replied to my post "showed up" here with one & any implication that I did is nothing less than ignorant: I simply made an inquiry (in plain English) about a MOTU-related issue I was having after being referred here by SOMEONE ELSE: It was an issue that any mature/intelligent adult who is experienced with MOTU hardware (aka-presumably the types of individuals who would become members on a site called "MOTUNATION") should have been able to address to some degree. The sad part is you are presumably one of the "leaders" on this site, yet instead of saying something helpful by responding to the actual question that was asked, you chose to lash out like a 12 year old & make these useless/smart ass comments about how there are mostly "MAC"/DP" users here as if i'm supposed to know that from jump. Then after all that you have the nerve to accuse someone (other than yourself) of "showing up with an attitude" lol. Hilarious. So much for setting an example as the "ADMINISTRATOR" of this wack website. Nonetheless, it really doesn't matter, because when the head is stick so is the tail & judging by your rude/unwelcoming 1st response to my very 1st post on here, I don't need to waste my breath dealing with you or anyone else on this worthless site. I'll figure it out on my own. Get off your high horse, take that guitar & shove it somewhere, & grow the Hell up while you're at it. Thanks, that's all I have, unsubscribing as we speak

-motumusician
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It's amazing how myopic you can be. I was referring to your snarky, sarcastic post that I quoted because you were miffed nobody replied to you question. I'm amazed you can't see that. Happy trails! :D

P.S. This is a board so you don't "unsubscribe" so much as delete your profile here, which you can't do yourself, but I'll be happy to oblige upon your request.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The tenor of his approach has left me less than motivated to assist the OP.

I am so sorry for our loss; I'm sure motumusician would have been a regular contributor, always ready to respond with insightful information within hours, if not minutes, of another member's cry for help. (Cue sounds of gentle sobbing and gnashing teeth, with tiny violin accompaniment provided by external MIDI modules.) :boohoo:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Call it a character flaw, whatever, but I just don't care WHO someone is, there's no need to show up here, ask for help, and then post something crappy because nobody responded immediately to your question. For better or for worse, this IS a Mac-centric board and the reason for that should be obvious considering the history of Digital Performer which is the central reason for this board's existence in the first place. So I tried to explain WHY nobody answered so quickly... AND... well... because I have NO patience for rude people any more... I said something to him about his attitude and unnecessary comments. Here's a past topic where I once made my views known about these sorts of people:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=42752

He's free to run off to another forum and gripe about it, or maybe he'll email MOTU to complain which a few have tried before. At least I quoted his snarky reply before he can go back and try and scrub his posts. I've had more than one occasion where someone like this runs off to another forum, whines about how he was treated, and then a person who read his story actually came here and read firsthand what was said and called the person out on it.

Seriously... I'll just say this yet again in this thread for those who don't comprehend: this board is not a for profit enterprise and I do it simply as a labor of love. As such, it affords me the freedom from having to kiss the butts of people who come in here and start putting out an attitude from the get-go. If that's how you choose to interact, I don't NEED you here. I don't WANT you here. I don't care what you think of this place, either. Understand?

DavidKellett

Post by DavidKellett »

I'm having probs with a motu MIDI express 128 in Mac 10.9.4 with Logic and DP8 (I'm not a dP8 user though) The motu importer in the UK tested this today and Macs with 10.9.4 (MacBook Pro and air certainly) have this problem. If you run anything in the least bit complex - MIDI clock or mod wheel for instance - then notes start to hang.

Wonder if this is related to these posts?

David
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Intel Macs and Windows after ? (I don't do Windows) must have compatible firmware or the device will not talk to the PC or Mac.

The MTP AV USB requires firmware 2.0.1 in case the OP ever reads this again. If older, there is no solution without getting a newer box.

Firmware updates were done by replacing chip sets in the device. These were discontinued by MOTU in 2012.

Anyway, the first question to ask should always be, "What is the firmware version?" It displays while booting.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro