MOTU Ultralite MK3 hybrid routing

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
deuscreator
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU Ultralite MK3 hybrid routing

Post by deuscreator »

Hi there, fellow MOTU-citizens!

I am looking for advice on the MOTU Ultralite MK3 hybrid.

Although I have seen some replies regarding Cuemix and routing, I have a few more specific questions:

I am looking for a compact USB interface to record my band, consisting of 7 people (with a V-drum and individual effects/preamps), so I need 8 line-ins, which is ok with the Ultralite. However, I would like to create a "silent studio", ideally sending 7 different monitor mixes as well, individually to everyone via a hedphone mixer and later via wireless in-ear monitors. Since the outputs are stereo coupled, I was wondering whether I can create these mixes anyway, with creating separate mixes in Cuemix and panning the inputs accordingly to receive two separate mono mixes.

Due to the standalone mode, I plan to use it on smaller live performances as well, with a similar setting, sending an 8th mix as main mix through the main outs to active speakers.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to do the routing setup as described?
2. Is it safe to use it in standalone mode in a live setting?
3. In case I do the hard-panning workaround, would I still be able to set different effects / levels for the outs? (Sorry, not familiar with Cuemix yet..)
4. Would I be able to save this config to the ultralite for standalone operation?
5. I have a usb 2.0 port on my laptop and a rock-solid win7 install with high-end hardware (gamer laptop w. ssd, 16gb ram, i7 quad-core cpu), are the win7-usb drivers stable enough by now? It would be nice to do some live recording as well sometimes, but a little bit afraid of the stability..

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!!
4stripes

Re: MOTU Ultralite MK3 hybrid routing

Post by 4stripes »

1. Probably, you can certainly pan in a stereo mix bus, and send your outs mono to each listener using an external h/p amp. If you study CueMix screenshots you could probably deduce this. That technique would generally work with any console with stereo buses.
2. Sure.
3. All mix buses have master gain. That can be seen in CueMix screenshots.
4. Yes. Described in manual.
5. You can only know by trying.
deuscreator

Re: MOTU Ultralite MK3 hybrid routing

Post by deuscreator »

4stripes wrote:1. Probably, you can certainly pan in a stereo mix bus, and send your outs mono to each listener using an external h/p amp. If you study CueMix screenshots you could probably deduce this. That technique would generally work with any console with stereo buses.
2. Sure.
3. All mix buses have master gain. That can be seen in CueMix screenshots.
4. Yes. Described in manual.
5. You can only know by trying.
Thanks 4stripes, this was really useful!