828x unusable with Windows/USB

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
TabSel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828x unusable with Windows/USB

Post by TabSel »

Motu confirmed a serious issue with the 828x:

When connected to a windows machine via USB, on closing and subsequentially reopening/closing cuemix fx, there is extremely loud digital distortion on adat out B ch 6 and impulses in B ch 5, as well as when changing clocking/buffer settings in motu audio console.

Anyone else sees this issue?

How long does it usually take motu to fix such known and serious issues? I'm new to motu and quite angry to encounter such issues which render my new 800€ device quite useless as a dangerous piece of kit damaging equipment and my ears!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828x unusable with Windows/USB

Post by mikehalloran »

Put in a tech link into support so that your problem can be found and fixed.

Afaik, the USB functionality is identical to the 828mkIII which has been out for a few years now - 7, I think.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
TabSel

Post by TabSel »

Did that. Tech link contact confirmed the issue.

7 years? So there won't be a chance to get this fixed it seems... Oh dear
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You will notice that most of us post our hardware, OS and other particulars that affect audio in our signatures. It's a really good idea to do so, otherwise, no one knows what other things may be affecting your setup.

With a Mac, it's difficult enough but, with Windows, it is critical. Otherwise, the best anyone can do is recommend that you post a Tech Link.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
TabSel

Post by TabSel »

I use a dell m6500 precision mobile workstation with usb2 and usb3 ports, a Silentmaxx i850, GA-X79-UP4/i7-4960x with additional 2port renesas usb3 board and a MacBook Pro 15" Nvidia gpu. The distortion happens on both win machines, but not on mac.

However, the issue occurs on the win machine of the tech-link guy, too, so it seems this issue is system independent.

Turn on the PC, make sure the 828x is connected via USB and no software uses the WMD/ASIO driver (standalone use; I connect the 828x via adat A/B I/O to my RME HDSP Digiface). Open/close CueMixFx/change clocking/buffersize settings in motu audio console and you get this distortion.
JamesGraham

Post by JamesGraham »

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I'm working on a project where I'm expecting to be able to use two 828x units each with two Behringher ADAT output devices attached, with both connected to the Win 7/x64 Xeon box via USB 2. I have them both connected separately - that is

Code: Select all

Computer -> USB -> 828x #1 ->ADAT #1 > Behringer #1
Computer -> USB -> 828x #1 ->ADAT #2 > Behringer #2
Computer -> USB -> 828x #2 ->ADAT #1 > Behringer #3
Computer -> USB -> 828x #2 ->ADAT #2 > Behringer #4
The audio control panel recognises both units, however when I try to play audio using ASIO the second 828x doesn't seem to work. The audio I route to the second 828x ends up playing on the first 828x and I'm unable to get any signal at all out of the Behringer #3 and #4 outputs

Tomorrow I'm going to try synching the two 828x units together via word clock, and I had thought that this would work until reading this thread - which seems to suggest there problems deep within the MOTU driver that prevent this setup from working.

It would be very helpful to hear any information from people with similar problems that they've either fixed or the things that didn't work when they were trying to fix it.

I plan to call MOTU tomorrow, and had hoped they would fix the problem by telling me I had configured the system incorrectly, then guiding me to correctness. Perhaps I should be using different interfaces? Any ideas? Please.

Regards,
James.

Win7prox64
828x x 2
Behringer ADA8200 (ADAT IO) x 4
HP Z420/8GB/Xeon