Traveler mk3,8pre and ADA800 Sync Problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Alex_r
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Traveler mk3,8pre and ADA800 Sync Problems

Post by Alex_r »

Hello everybody,

Recently I upgraded to a traveler mk3.
My setup looks like this:
Main Unit: traveler mk3
ADAT A (In&Out): 8pre
ADAT B(In&Out): ADA800

Clock Source is set to internal on the traveler mk3, Everything works fine but there are some cracks and pops every 5-10sec which is really annoying for recording / playing live.
Still, there are no cracks if I switch off the ADA800 or if I switch off the 8pre, so it must come from clock sync with two devices working at the same time.
Does anyone have the same issues?

Is it possible to slave the ADA800 via WordClock to the traveler and operate the 8pre only with the ADAT connection?
Another possibilitie I'm considering is to sync via Smtpe, but how do I set the right Input at the 8pre? Should I daisy chain the 8pre to the traveler mk3?
I'm really running out of ideas!
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Alex
4stripes

Re: Traveler mk3,8pre and ADA800 Sync Problems

Post by 4stripes »

You can clock any way the gear allows--WC, ADAT, AES, all mixed up, whatever. So why don't you just try that. You must set everything else to external though, you did not mention that. SMPTE should not be used for clocking.
mysticalcracker

Post by mysticalcracker »

I'm having a similar problem with my 828 mk3 with an 8pre and a UA 4-710. Either one works when the other is off, but pops every 5 secs when both are on together. Tried everything I could think of, and no luck.
Alex_r

Post by Alex_r »

Problem was fixed by changing every ADAT cable and adding an extra BNC Word Clock cable (mk3 as master, Behringer ADA8000 as slave).
Cables I used: http://www.thomann.de/de/optical_kabel_1m.htm