24 I/O clipping issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
WireNightmare
Primary DAW OS: Windows

24 I/O clipping issues

Post by WireNightmare »

Hey peeps!

I've recently been given as a gift from a friend a 24 I/O pci-x card which i am now happily using with windows 7.

My main DAW is pro tools 10.

So, my problem is that the main output will clip very easily on the card while nothing seems to be clipping internally, from either PT or any other medium (VLC/ Youtube etc).

There's absolutely no way i can master anything. not even for fun... The louder the source becomes in the box, even though it isn't clipping anywhere while looking at all meters, my card is going all red and distorted!!!

I have the latest drivers from the website.

Card: MOTU 24 I/O PCI-X
DAW: PT 10

Thanks for your time.

P.S: I did search for something similar, but i have either searched wrong, or i am maybe the only one facing such a problem...
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 24 I/O clipping issues

Post by 4stripes »

If your output DACs are clipping, then it must be that you are hitting 0 dBFS in your DAW main bus outs. It can be no other way.
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 24 I/O clipping issues

Post by billruys »

Are the output lights on the 24I/O going into the red?

Also, are you sure you aren't just driving too hot a signal into you amp/monitors? If your monitoring system is consumer level, go into the MOTU applet and click on the "Interface Options" button, then change the output from one set of outs from +4dBu to -10dBV. See if that stops your monitoring system from distorting.