Traveler Forgetting CueMix Settings

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
doubleJ
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Traveler Forgetting CueMix Settings

Post by doubleJ »

For the last couple of months, our Motu Traveler (not mk3) has been losing its CueMix memory.
We leave the computer and Traveler on, all the time.
Maybe once a week (or once every couple of weeks), we'll see input metering, but not see any output metering.
It's happening enough, that I've written down what to do on a Post-It note and set it on the computer.
At that point, I open CueMix and load a hardware preset (thankfully, I created one).
Any ideas as to why that would be happening?
The Traveler has been a work-horse, for 8 years (or so).
We purchased a Traveler-Mk3, to replace it, but it doesn't seem to like our recording computer.
JJ
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Traveler Forgetting CueMix Settings

Post by TinenTech »

When this happens, does the Traveler still work as an interface? e.g., when you play back from your DAW (instead of through CueMix) does it have output?

Is the CueMix app open on the computer when this happens, or are you just using the front panel controls of the Traveler?

Are there any Firewire appliances upstream or downstream of the Traveler?

If so, and they're hard drives, what are your Energy Saver settings? Since you leave your rig on all the time, there might be something about hard drives spinning down after not being used.

Is anything connected to the Travelers MIDI I/O? Do you use any controllers in CueMix (like a Mackie Controller)? I could imagine a situation where some scrambled MIDI message would get through to the Traveler and it would think it was receiving a "mute" command or something. Open CueMix (the app) and make sure there are no controllers enabled.

Just a guess. You did the right thing by having a snapshot in memory.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
doubleJ

Post by doubleJ »

When I've seen it happen, inputs still worked, but outputs didn't (no routing).
We use it, strictly, for recording and monitoring.
I could do a playback test, but we usually realize the problem, when it's time to record.

CueMix wasn't open, when it happened, and we don't make any adjustments, except master volume.

There are no additional devices, before or after.
It's just the computer and Traveler.

JJ
doubleJ

Post by doubleJ »

Apparently, the ROM chip has failed.
We went to record some audio, last night, and the unit was sitting on the firmware upgrade screen.
A call to Motu support, this morning, concluded that loosing the routing was indicative to the failing ROM.
JJ