828MKII not able to go ADAT out to Fireface 800 successfully

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Court Session
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828MKII not able to go ADAT out to Fireface 800 successfully

Post by Court Session »

Hi,

I am having difficulty setting up my MOTU 828 MKII to send the digital channels to my RME Fireface 800 via ADAT (Windows 7 - 64 Bit with latest driver installed for both units.)

The problem is showing symptoms via the following:
Whenever word clock is set to external 44/48.
1) Motu shows flashing 44.1 Khz on front panel.
2) It will not show the analog input signal on front panel either.
3) With firewire plugged in, Cue Mix cannot set buses to ADAT out, They switch back to blank after couple of seconds.

Whenever word clock is set to internal 48 Khz.
1) Motu Shows solid 48 khz on front panel.
2) It shows the analog input signal fine on front panel.
3) Whith firewire plugged in, Cue Mix can set buses to ADAT out and they stay selected until setting word clock back to external.

Setup:
I have my optical ADAT cable coming out of the Motu to the input of the RME.
I have a coaxial wordclock cable coming out of the RME to the input of the Motu.

My software is configured as pictured below:
The RME Mixing software shows I am getting a bunch of static/clicks at the input instead of proper signal, it says "phones", but is the ADAT in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am pulling out what is left of my hair!
Cheers,
Court
4stripes

Re: 828MKII not able to go ADAT out to Fireface 800 successf

Post by 4stripes »

You might have a bad WC cable. You should try looping the MOTU ADAT back into itself to confirm it is working when externally clocked. Or just get it working with the MOTU as the master and continue troubleshooting from there piece by piece.
Court Session

Post by Court Session »

It's a brand new cable and the Motu is acknowledging their is an external clock. Not sure where the behavior is coming from. Can anyone tell me if my settings are correct?
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Court Session wrote:. . . the Motu is acknowledging there is an external clock. Not sure where the behavior is coming from.
That's not really what you described before, which was:
Court Session wrote:Whenever word clock is set to external 44/48:
1) Motu shows flashing 44.1 Khz on front panel.
2) It will not show the analog input signal on front panel either.
That sounds like it's not locked. Most things don't flash when they are locked, eh?

Anyway, new doesn't mean it's not bad.

You could easily enable the ADAT inputs and see if ADAT sync works instead of WC.

Or turn the clocking around and make MOTU the master and RME the external slave, which is what I suggested before.