Track 16 no main out and noise from unit

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Temby92
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Track 16 no main out and noise from unit

Post by Temby92 »

Hi all
First time posting so I will try to be thorough with my problem. Last week my track 16 was working smoothly no issues. I also have a second sound card installed (asus essence stx). Both seemed to work fine together until One day switched from the track 16 to my asus card for playback (sometimes I like to give the track 16 a rest). Then I switched backed to the track 16 via windows mixer to main out as default but now there is no metering on my interface. There is signal in the windows mixer and in cue mix just not getting routed to the interface somehow. Now I have gone through cuemix from top to bottom, nothing muted, everything seems to be in order. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. I have done thorough deletes of registry entries, any traces of motu on my computer and used ccleaner. Uninstalled and removed my asus card. I tried connecting through FireWire (PCI card) and USB (hub and tower). Still nothing. Funny thing is I can get it working with analog 1-2 (line out) no problems. Now today I installed drivers again and switched the unit on and there was a noise coming from the unit like a low pitched squeal. I turned it off straight away in fear of damage. Any suggestions on what this might be? Could this be a driver problem? Sorry if this post is confusing. I have win 7 64bit, i7, 16gb RAM.

Cheers and thanks for reading

Chris
Temby92

Re: Track 16 no main out and noise from unit

Post by Temby92 »

Also forgot to mention, this has happened once before (not the squeal but the main out problem) so I don't think the hardware is faulty. I'm wondering if there is a conflicting driver or a hidden entry somewhere. The first time this happened it worked after I reinstalled windows, but I really don't want to go down path if I can help it as it's a tedious process to get it back to how I like it.
Temby92

Post by Temby92 »

Just an update. Strange but after doing another factory reset it seems to be working now (tried many before). Now I need somebody else's expertise here. I have it setup through USB now, but the FireWire does not work. I had it connected to a FireWire PCI card (Texas Instruments chipset), I had 2 different cables to try (the factory one and a belkin one) and there were 2 9pin ports on the card. I plug the belkin one in and get this little buzzing sound, I didn't try and turn it on and then I try the factory motu one and it powers the device but nothing is recognised in windows.

My question is could the PCI card have malfunctioned? Or the cables no good? I'm thinking of getting a decent PCIe card but I'm hoping to my FireWire on the Track 16 hasn't crapped itself either. I know my way around a computer pretty well but I'm certainly far removed from being a pro unlike a lot of you guys on here are. Any help is appreciated.

Chris
reedster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by reedster »

Have you tried with the power supply?
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Temby92

Post by Temby92 »

Reedster

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is currently set up and working through USB with power supply connected. Before all this happened it was connected through FireWire but now windows doesn't recognise device through FireWire. I guess it could be faulty cable? Faulty FireWire PCI card? Or FireWire input on the track 16? Just wondering what people's thoughts were. If it's has happened to them?

Thanks again.

Chris
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

Which version of the MOTU Universal Audio drivers is this?

I have an 8-Pre, so an older unit, but using the latest version, 4.0.5.9644 of the drivers, connected by FW (there is no USB option), it was not "seen" by Win 7 (so no driver "install") and I eventually had to completely uninstall those drivers and revert to the previous version.

Jeff