Simple use of CueMix that has me stumped

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
yabadaba
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Simple use of CueMix that has me stumped

Post by yabadaba »

I am playing back a four channel WAV file in Sound Forge through through an 828mk3 and a four channel amplifier to four separate speakers separated around the corners of a room. This allows someone to spatially identify which one of four speakers is talking.

I'd also like to allow the user (at the same time) to listen to the four speakers on headphones as follows:
1 -> left
2 -> right
3 -> left
4 -> right

I know I could brute force it in Sound Forge by duplicating tracks 1 to 4 as tracks 5 to 8 and send them out to the left and right Phone outputs, for example, but I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this "for free" in CueMix. I've never used CueMix before but it appears I can only do what I want to do with inputs, not outputs.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this? If it can't be done, does anyone know a piece of hardware that will accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance.
INSUB
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Simple use of CueMix that has me stumped

Post by INSUB »

CueMix is for routing the zero-latency input signals directly to any output with up to 4 (at least for 828mkII) separate mixes without having to be processed by the computer. So, no I don't think you can do this in CueMix.

I don't use Sound Forge, but I would think you should not have to duplicate the tracks. You should be able to use a send from each track to another output bus set to the headphones output. If you are currently using 4 mono outputs, you may want to change them to two stereo outs so that you can take advantage of your hard-panned tracks going to the headphones output.

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with the use of multi(more than 2)track wave files.
MOTU 828mkII, MOTU 8PRE, Cubase Elements 7, Win7 64bit, Yamaha Motif ES8, Virus TI, Casio Privia PX-350M.
TinenTech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Simple use of CueMix that has me stumped

Post by TinenTech »

You're right: CueMix only mixes live inputs. Think of it as a shortcut with some DSP control between the input and the output. If the source is a file in your computer or a virtual instrument, CueMix has almost nothing to do with it. You have to assign your tracks to multiple outputs via your DAW's I/O page, or by using an Aux Send.

There is one feature of CueMix, however, that would be helpful in your situation: check the feature Phones follow active mix. When you have this checked, and switch between CueMix tabs, the phones will follow it. Even if all CueMix faders are down (and, by your description, they probably should be), the headphones will audition the output you want. Just make sure each CueMix layer/tab is set to four different outputs.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12