MOTU UltraLite MK3 weird background noise when entering DAW

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
paickda
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU UltraLite MK3 weird background noise when entering DAW

Post by paickda »

I'm using a MOTU UltraLite mk3 with firmware version 1.06 (driver 4.0.5.5333), connected via USB [Windows 7 64bit, 16GB RAM...].
Currently have the sample rate at 48000 and 512 samples per buffer.

My issue is this:
Playback of music using Foobar2000 (my media player of choice) yields perfect playback. However, soon as I enter my DAW (Ableton 9.0.1), I hear this sound, a weird annoying hum kind of thing that alternates in tone:
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/91108294/file.html

I noticed that if I click 'Phase' for Analog inputs 1 and 2 or turn down the trim in CueMix FX, the problem is slightly fixed... but sound isn't 100%. I shouldn't have to do this!; it works flawless in native Windows playback applications. Why does it only happen when I enter Ableton?

If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate.
HotShot

Re: MOTU UltraLite MK3 weird background noise when entering

Post by HotShot »

Hi:

Just for the record, you have an UltraLite MK3 Hybrid, not a UltraLite MK3, that's what I have, an UltraLite MK3. :)

Now, to address your problem. If you're using the UltraLite for the default Windows playback device, Windows will use the WDM or WaveRT driver for the UltraLite.

Ableton may be using the ASIO driver, the WaveRT driver, the WASAPI driver or, the MME driver. Go into the settings for Ableton and find out what driver mode is being used? For playback performance with the least latency, ASIO driver mode is preferred. If you are already in ASIO driver mode, try one of the other driver modes, such as WDM driver mode, and use the WDM driver or the WaveRT driver.

Keep switching driver modes and selecting drivers, until you find what works best for your setup. You may also need to adjust the latency buffer slider or whatever setting it is in Ableton that lets you increase and decrease your hardware buffer size for Mixing latency, playback and recording.

Let us know how it's going?

EDIT:

I just listened to that file you uploaded. That sounds like a Mic preamp problem. When you turn the trim down all the way for the two Mic preamps, do you hear that sound?
May a song always touch you in a possitive way!
SONAR X1a Producer
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MOTU UltraLite MK3, Delta 1010LT, KeyStation Pro 88, Shure KSM27, 6GB 1600MHz DDR3, 160GB, 350 GB 7200rpm HDDs, QSC K12s, Numark DDS80
paickda

Re: MOTU UltraLite MK3 weird background noise when entering

Post by paickda »

HotShot wrote:Ableton may be using the ASIO driver, the WaveRT driver, the WASAPI driver or, the MME driver. Go into the settings for Ableton and find out what driver mode is being used? For playback performance with the least latency, ASIO driver mode is preferred. If you are already in ASIO driver mode, try one of the other driver modes, such as WDM driver mode, and use the WDM driver or the WaveRT driver.
It appears I can only have ASIO as the driver type to be able to use the MOTU.

I'm in the middle of tweaking the setup so I'll monitor the noise issue closely once the setup is finalised.

But it is strange I don't see any other drivers but ASIO and MME...