MOTU MIDI Express XT USB & Windows 8??

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Dark Star Balla
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU MIDI Express XT USB & Windows 8??

Post by Dark Star Balla »

I just purchased a used MIDI express usb xt and need installation instruction for Windows 8. Anyone dealt with this? I'm trying to find out how to go about installing the drivers and making sure I have the correct drivers. It's the older model pictured.

Thanks!
4stripes

Re: MOTU MIDI Express XT USB & Windows 8??

Post by 4stripes »

Did you try the drivers and manual from MOTU.com?
Dark Star Balla

Motu.com only has Windows 7 64 bit drivers. I have Google' no luck. Didn't think to just plug it in. Typicallyyou ha ve to install drivers then plug in. Will try it tomorrow. The last line was for your amusement huh? :lol: but thanks for the useful input. I was hoping to hear from users who uses windows 8 but figured it'd be a long shot.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Are you sure? It says right on http://www.motu.com/download Supports Windows Vista, 7 and 8. And if you go to the older drivers link, they have Win8 back to 2011, and drivers in general back to 1997. Have another looksee.
Dark Star Balla

Oh ok I missed the "Windows 8" at the bottom! Thanks! :woohoo: Now can't wait to leave this place to get to the studio and try it!
Dark Star Balla

Update....

I got all the drivers installed Sonar recognizes it, I can see all the ports in my software etc... Unfortunately motu tech support said clockwork will not work with this unit. So as of now it seems this unit was a waste of $$$$! My sole reason for needing it was to use my Fantom X7 as a controller for my MV8800 with all my soft synths. Without the routing ability of clockworks all that seems impossible. :banghead: :deadhorse: :brucelee:
Dark Star Balla

I'm thinking of buying a new model. How can I be sure it will do what I need it to do? (Sequence with my Roland MV8800 while using my fantom as the controller for my sound modules & soft synths). I can not afford to waste any more cash but I really need to be able to perform this function to use my set up the way I need to. Any helpful solutions? :smash: :surrender:
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Any interface with MIDI IO will do that.
Dark Star Balla

That's what I thought but I'm having no success. I thought clockwork would solve my issue with no luck. I would prefer to model I have if I can get it to function.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

You just connect your MIDI devices to a MIDI interface and then do the routing of the MIDI ports within your DAW. Pretty standard stuff.
Dark Star Balla

Were it that simple it'd be working and we would not be having this conversation. Not sure you understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I know people do this itb all the time but i'm trying to seq otb.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Ok, well you said 'soft synths' so you can see why someone would think ITB routing would be fine.

If you want to work OTB, all you need are MIDI thrus, in, and outs, MIDI mergers, and/or the MOTU Express XT or micro express, because both support ClockWorks. It says right on their website that it supports ClockWorks (the only way to configure it) so I'm not sure what piece of the puzzle you are missing.
If you do a CTRL+F in the manual and type ClockWorks you will find it mentioned all over the place.
Dark Star Balla

As posted above... I assumed Clockwork would do the job also however after speaking with Motu's tech support I was informed it will not function with this older model MOTU MIDI Express XT USB & Windows 8.1. So this is why I'm hesitant on buying a newer model. I do not want to be stuck with another piece of gear that's useless to me.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Did you try it yourself? There's only been one model of XT as far as I'm aware with a minor update in 2011 for LTC, and it works with ClockWorks. How else would one control all of its features?

Otherwise if that's wrong, if you're keeping old enough gear around, you have to keep old OS's around to run the stuff. Or you need to buy new gear that works with your OS. It sounds like you have a too old MOTU and a too new PC.
Dark Star Balla

Yup, tried which is what prompted me to call Motu. There's actually 2 models. The one pictured above and a newer model.