Motu Audio Express sudden no sound problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tvboxtel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu Audio Express sudden no sound problem

Post by tvboxtel »

Hi all, I hope someone can help me.

The problem with my Motu Audio Express is that sometimes audio is completely gone. The only thing I hear when it has happened is a very high beep. When I go to my Motu Audio Console and change one of the settings randomly, everything works fine again.

At first it happened very occasionally, but now it sometimes happens 3 or 4 times in 15 minutes, which is very annoying.

I am using my Motu Audio express for producing in Ableton Live 8 primarily, but it's also my default soundcard for windows. At first I thought it was a bug in Ableton but it also happened when Ableton wasn't even running.

I hope someone can help me fix this annoying problem. I am using windows 7 64 bit with a i7 processor and 8G of RAM

Thanks in advance!
torrentg

Re: Motu Audio Express sudden no sound problem

Post by torrentg »

Not a problem. It's an extremely common thing on Windows 7.

All you need to do is use the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to change the IEEE 1394 driver to the one with "Legacy" in its name. It's already installed as part of Windows 7; you just need to specify it instead of the driver running now.

Enjoy.

When right clicking the current driver and choosing "Update driver software":

tvboxtel

Post by tvboxtel »

It would be very great if this solves it. I will try it this evening. Thank u very much for your reaction.
tvboxtel

Post by tvboxtel »

Maybe u can help me with another thing though. Now, my audio express is connected via an usb hub, together with all my other usb devices, because I have one usb 2.0 connection on my laptop and two usb 3.0 connections.

I updated the firmware of the audio express recently so it can be used on my usb 3.0 ports, but I still don't get any sound when using it on the usb 3.0 ports.

Do u know if this is maybe the same problem? Or is it not possible yet to use the usb 3.0 connections?

Thanks a lot! Cheers!
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

It's not a great idea to run the MOTU on any hub.

I suggest these things:

1) Update the laptop bios to newest available.

2) Install the latest USB 3.0 driver from the laptop's website.

3) If there is a firmware update specifically for the USB 3.0 from the laptop's website, install that too.

4) Plug the MOTU into the USB 2.0 port on the laptop. (Even if you do manage to get to work on a 3.0 port, there is no benefit to that at all.)

5) Plug your other USB devices into the hub and plug the hub into one of the 3.0 ports on the laptop.
tvboxtel

Post by tvboxtel »

Ok I understand. I hope my other usb devices will work on my usb 3.0 ports though. The reason all is on my usb 2.0 port is that it id not work on usb 3.0.

But it is good to know that connecting an audio interface to an usb hub is not a great idea. It's something I already thought could lead to problems.

Thanks again! I'll post the results of your tips soon..
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Cool deal. Ya, whatever hub you have should work well after you update the USB 3.0 driver and firmware. Then everything else falls into place.

Yep, let us know how it all goes after the above and we will get to the bottom of it all if need be still.

For a VERY entertaining thread regarding the exact same thing when I helped someone, (and I even took crap FOR DOING SO hahaha - I was GMAN there) - check on this thread:

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hard ... -mode.html

Even though I fixed it properly for the guy - in peoples eyes - can't win 'em all I suppose. It led to me being banned because not even they understood anything there. The phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"...which is THE story of my life hahahah. At least I laugh about it. ;) (Nighthawk kept on putting down my advice, and continued to do so even AFTER it was shown to be what was needed. Go figure!)

I think James, our forum owner and admin here, knows a thing or two about that based on stuff I've seen him post.
tvboxtel

Post by tvboxtel »

Ok, I updated my drivers and all my other usb devices now work on my usb 3.0 port which is really great! Thanks for that!

There is one thing though, I don't see the 1394 driver in my list. My Audio express is now directly connected to my usb 2.0 port.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

You're welcome.

IEEE 1394 is for firewire ports, and I'm sure your laptop just simply does not have one, hence it missing in the Device Manager correctly as it should be.

How's the MOTU going? Sound working?
tvboxtel

Post by tvboxtel »

The Motu sound is working, and no fall outs yet but I tried only for a couple of hours. I think the problem is solved though. I'll let u know if it happens again. Thanks again, I am very happy with the fact I can use my usb 3.0 ports now.
trentemoller523
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by trentemoller523 »

Hi,

I hope to find in this forum and in this post the answers that I'm going crazy for several months.

I also present the same problem mentioned in this post:
I've a Motu Audio Express (last firmware update 1.04) that I'm using via USB (and a clearly DC power supply), Mac Book Pro intel core i7 8Gb RAM, Ableton 9.0.4 and other audio hardware connected via MIDI and audio to Audio Express.

Casually (without fixed time intervals) the audio I'm playing stops working and audio express emanating an annoying whistle at high frequencies. :banghead: Meanwhile, the LED clock (44.1 kHz) flashing. Sometimes after a few seconds the audio resumes and the whistle stops. Other times, I have to turn off and turn on the sound card or I have to change settings temporarily deactivating audio from ableton or through operating system audio preferences.
The problem is not generated only with Ableton but even when it is turned off and, for example, I'm watching videos on youtube or on facebook. :smash:

I noticed in this post that you refer to a common problem for windows operating system but I have a mac book pro with the latest version of the operating system (10.9). So....how can I solve this problem? Until I'm in the studio there would be no problems, but during a live set? if it started a whistle from audio express and were to stop everything? no!!! :deadhorse:
INSUB

Post by INSUB »

Trent, you should probably post this in the MOTU with Mac forum.

I have an 828mkII and the only time the sample rate led flashes is when my keyboard is turned off. This is because I have the clock sync set to external (SPDIF) so that I can record my keyboard digitally in sync to avoid digital artifacts (very unpleasant) that will occur otherwise. Maybe there is a problem with the setting of your sample clock source.

I am not familiar with Mac, sorry.
MOTU 828mkII, MOTU 8PRE, Cubase Elements 7, Win7 64bit, Yamaha Motif ES8, Virus TI, Casio Privia PX-350M.
jess_CLiNT

Post by jess_CLiNT »

hi i have the same problem as Trent, im running windows 7 my motu audioexpress is connected thru usb 2 port and i have the whistle thing and in the last few days its not making any sound.. windows recognize the card everything looks normal but no sound is coming out!
tried to reinstall motu drivers and it didnt help...
any suggestions?

thanx Jess
marqu

Post by marqu »

Having the same problem with the Audio Express.
I am connected through USB 2. sometimes i get a constant crackle, or a high pitched sound followed by no sound. When i go to the MOTU audio console it refuses to open unless i restart. currently its set to 48khz, but when i change to 44.1, it makes no difference. Also what has happened on several occasions is that the unit has turned off for no reason. its getting a bit ridiculous as this was only purchased in February, just over a month ago. Please help if anyone has a solution, this is a good audio interface otherwise.
kalatwisted

Post by kalatwisted »

Hello,
I have 2 questions about my Motu audio express.
First I would like to know....I did install the lastest universal audio installer (Jan 2014), so I was wondering if I need to install also the firmware updater as it is older (2013), or just the lastest installer is enough?
My second question is similar to the questions uppers....My soundcard sometimes bug and does also this high frequencies....
It is really a problem for me because I bought it specially to perform my live act and it happens often that I have a cut in the midle of my performance, what is really bad.
As I did bought this soundcard specially for this purpose, I really would like solve it.
Motu plug with usb port on my computer, windows 7.
Thank you!