Linux Drivers for Motu Hardware

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
olafc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Linux Drivers for Motu Hardware

Post by olafc »

Hi everyone,

has anyone ever felt the desire to use their MOTU gear under Linux? I did and gave it a try with my 828mkII but failed horribly because there are no drivers available for ANY MOTU hardware. :eek:
Tech support just gave me an off-the-shelf answer: "We will probably support Linux in the future..." and they will not release technical specifications so I could write a driver on my own.
If anyone wants MOTU to release Linux drivers or technical specifications, please shout out loud now!!!

Olaf
mothra
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Linux Drivers for Motu Hardware

Post by mothra »

Is this bennyp from OSXAudio.com that sent that really nasty letter to MOTU telling them how horrible they were because they wouldnt open source the drivers for the 828?

I think the thread was appropriately addressed over at OSXAudio.com and closed for a reason..
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
olafc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by olafc »

No, that is not me. I am not after an open source driver. I just want to be able to use my motu the way I want to (in this case: with Linux). Don't get me wrong: I think the 828mkII is a wicked device, and I can understand that they do not want to release technical details due to attached IP, but I would be really happy if they released a Linux driver (even if it was a proprietary (closed) one).
splatterbass

Post by splatterbass »

man i hear ya.
running a p4 2.8 ghz with a gig of ram.
828mkII, mackie 1604 vlz for home and allen heath 24 for recording.
cant afford mac.
would love to run linux only, but linux sucks a## for audio programs.
sure they have programs that you can do multi track recording, or MIDI composing. but not both.
i love sonar for being able to open a staff and start writing right off the hop. and then throw in whatever organic sounds later, if need be (vox, guitar, bass) even in pro tools i have asked questions and gotten a lot of blank stares and questions of why would you want to do that.
so i am stuck with an inferior os and always wanting more for just my own writting.
if linux had some decent programs that i could use with my setup, i would blow out windows and go linux all the way.
treblig442

Post by treblig442 »

I agree with our brotha. I would ditch Windows in a heartbeat and go to linnux myself. Ive been watching the open source multi track platforms, and sadly they wont do the work load:( Id love MOTU if they had any kind of linnux driver. Im so sick of WinBlows, and microsoft is slowly losing customers. SP2 is just another notch in their belt as far as im concerned. Sadly i am forced to stay on windows..... i wish their were a solution w/o having to go out and buy a g5. Even though id love 1...
pinkboi

I just complained

Post by pinkboi »

I asked them nicely to release ALSA drivers.. I think if enough people ask, they'll do it. Maybe I should've mentioned that RME's stuff all works under Linux.
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

olafc wrote:I am not after an open source driver.
I am. 8)

Mainly for Windows, but for every single hardware product they sell.

I'd almost bet money there are programmers out there using this stuff, who could stomp any bugs like they were ants.

FWIW- Those Linux guys managed to do an MTP driver once with NO source evidently. From what I read, most of it worked, but not everything. Then again, lots of people seem to have that problem. <nudge nudge>
amias

Post by amias »

Lots of people have offered to write and support MOTU drivers under linux.

There is even a fund for legal assistance in drafting NDA agreement for any manufacturer
concerned about their IP . http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/free_drivers.html

The only reason there are no Linux drivers for MOTU products is MOTU themselves

Linux may be a small niche at the moment but it is growing rapidly and MOTU arel cutting
themselves out of the loop , very few other manufacturers are taking this gamble.

Add to this the flood of migrations from vista to linux that is starting and there will
be a huge market for second hand MOTU gear , thus devaluing their customers investment's.

Toodle-pip
Amias
vampirefrog
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by vampirefrog »

Hello, sorry to necropost but I've written a linux driver for the MIDI express 128, you can find it here: https://github.com/vampirefrog/motu