Motu crashed Windows all the time :-(

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tdhoonhout
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu crashed Windows all the time :-(

Post by tdhoonhout »

Hey guys!

My name is Thomas and I have a serious problem since the purchase of my MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid USB/FIREWIRE.

My windows 7 is crashing all the time the last week. Blue dead screens the past 3 days are now 51 in total. I have this motu soundcard now 6 weeks. The measure of these crashes got worse and worse by the week. Till now, I can't produce or listen music.

I've downloaded the latest software from MOTU.com for windows 7. All drivers should be updated, right? I run the program 'Who Crashed' already to analyzed the crashes. "51 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 3 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.)

motufwa.sys (MotuFWA.sys, Mark of the Unicorn)

ntkrpamp.exe
"

Can someone please, please help me? I have to produce music because I have some deadlines for a remix + mixtape. I'm using the Muto ultra elite mk3 with 2 KRK rokit 8, windows 7 Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor AMD586, level: 16, 4.0 gb ram.

The helper get's a very big, digital hug from me.

A hopeless MOTU-user,

Thomas
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Motu crashed Windows all the time :-(

Post by torrentg »

If desktop, update your video card driver from here:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... loads.aspx

Uninstall your current antivirus in safe mode with the specific tool from the maker's website. Reboot, then install MSE.

If you still have issues, let me know. We'll sort it no problems. If you know how to upload the minidumps, just do that too and paste a link here.
tdhoonhout

Post by tdhoonhout »

Hey torrentg,
Thanks for your help.

I'm going to update my video card driver from your link,
What do you mean with: "Uninstall your current antivirus in safe mode with the specific tool from the maker's website. Reboot, then install MSE"?

Here are my mindumps in RAR. download:
http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/92967722/file.html

Hopefully you can see the problems..

Latest crashes are:
On Sun 14-10-2012 9:47:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101412-15724-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xCA6B)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x4, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF82D3687B)
Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Besturingssysteem MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT-bestandssysteemstuurprogramma
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 14-10-2012 9:47:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xCA6B)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x4, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF82D3687B)
Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT-bestandssysteemstuurprogramma
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 14-10-2012 9:40:40 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101412-20857-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x232B41)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82E82B41, 0xFFFFFFFFAD3728F0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ Operating System
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 14-10-2012 9:15:35 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101412-15834-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: wdf01000.sys (Wdf01000+0x2F072)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x4, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF94496F72)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
description: Kernel Mode Driver Framework-runtime
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 13-10-2012 21:42:15 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101312-16177-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDCDBC)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0xBBE66, 0x2, 0x94175)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ Operating System
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
ErikDeluxe

Post by ErikDeluxe »

Hello

I'm not sure if you run on Firewire or USB.

Anyway, if you use FW, have you tried to switch the FW drivers on the from "normal" 1394 OHCI drivers (in control panel) to the 1394 OHCI (Legacy) drivers. Its a known problem that the FW drivers for Windows 7 sucks. Try to switch them...
Work Like You Don't Need The Money
Love Like You Never Been Hurt, And
Dance Like Nobody Is Watching.

"Mark twain with a twist"

Sonar X3b (64bit), MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, Novation SL MKII 25, NI KORE 2, NI Maschine, NI Komplete 9, Yamaha HS50m, AKG K240S, AKG Perception 200, Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
joden

Post by joden »

Sorry if this sounds too simple or dumb, or if you have already tried - but there are known industry wide issues with the backward compatibility with the USB 3 spec.

Yes it IS supposed to be fully compatible, but in the real world it is not.

It is certainly an issue for the MOTU USB which will cause BSODs if it is connected to a USB 3 port. It loads up the drivers okay, it is when you try to use Cuemix or the Audio Console apps that it crashes...connect to a confirmed USB 2 and you will have no issues.

Hope that helps.
number5

Post by number5 »

I can confirm what joden says:

I connected my Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid to a USB 2.0 port when I got it. For some reason I connected all devices again to my machine, and the Motu got attached to a USB 3.0 port. Problems started from that point: no sound, BSOD's, DAW hanging, etc. I read this post, switched the sound interface back to a 2.0 port, and: problems gone !