MicroBook II CueMix FX not compatible with Ableton Live

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
phil71
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MicroBook II CueMix FX not compatible with Ableton Live

Post by phil71 »

Aux 1-2
Inputs consist of physical inputs on the MicroBook interface (mic, guitar, etc.), but there is also a stereo input channel for Aux 1-2. This is audio being routed to the MicroBook from your host audio software. By bringing up this fader, you can combine live inputs (mic, guitar, and line 1-2) with any audio from the computer.
This is an excerpt of the MicroBook II User Guide. By saying "host audio software", I guess they mean all audio softwares installed on your Windows PC. Unfortunately, the audio from several host audio softwares can not be routed to the MicroBook Aux 1-2 channel.

Hereafter, I listed the audio softwares that are working and those that are not working.

Working
- Youtube in Firefox (Adobe Flash Player)
- Windows Media Player
- VLC Media Player 2.0.1
- Skype 5.9

Not working
- Ableton Live 8.2.8
- J River Media Center 17.0.177

The 2 softs that are not working are those which you have to explicitly select MOTU MicroBook ASIO as the Audio Device.

With Skype, for example, you can either select directly the MicroBook's output you want or you can select Aux 1-2, and use CueMix FX to select the desired output.

I'd like the MicroBook II owners to contribute to this list in order to have a better understanding of the problem and the attention of MOTU.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and looking forward to a driver update.
phil71

Re: MicroBook II CueMix FX not compatible with Ableton Live

Post by phil71 »

I've just submitted a MOTU TechLink inquiry regarding the above.
I will let you know as soon as I get a feedback from MOTU.
namsir

Post by namsir »

i start having the same problem but the tech couldn't figure out the causes. I guess i'll have to go back with focusrite or something else. My mk2 is brand new too....this is so retarded
sjared

Post by sjared »

Lucky for me, I have an option to make use and utilize it through a different module which helps me get across the issues and be able to sort them out just like that.

Hopefully, you could take a look at how they are going to be contributed and used with the available hardware and software to go with it.

Probably submitting a ticket will help you be more familiar with the problem just like that.
MOTU_Tech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MOTU_Tech »

Hello all,
I personally use Ableton Live with a MicroBook II in my home studio. I can confirm that it is indeed possible (and easy!) to route Live through the MicroBook II's Aux input.

Live does not import channel I/O labels, and therefore the Aux output will appear as 'Output 7-8' in Live. You simply need to enable this output and route the master track to it in order to patch Live's audio into the Aux input (and CueMix FX).

Cheers,
Lorne
MOTU Tech Support
MOTU Tech Support

Please advise all technical inquires should be submitted directly to MOTU's support channels (phone and online support).
Kelpe

Post by Kelpe »

I had an issue with this as well.

After speaking with tech support on the phone have discovered that in Ableton (on Mac OSX anyway) you can route your master channel output like this for these results:

1/2 = Speakers only
5/6 = Phones only
7/8 = Speakers and phones

Thought it was annoying at first but actually its fine. If you want all your new tracks to come out of both you could just make an Ableton template where the main output is 7/8.