New 828Mk3, Windows 7, no audio output

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
AxeSlash
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New 828Mk3, Windows 7, no audio output

Post by AxeSlash »

So I've just bought an 828Mk3.

Ran setup from the supplied CD, plugged 828 in, Windows 7 found it and installed drivers.

No sound.

All applications don't even play anything; even a simple media player (XMPlay) just sits there with the counter at 00:00:00 (Reaper does the same).

I've checked I've got the right outputs (Main Out 1&2) etc etc, nothing.

Cuemix works fine, I can plumb a 57 into input 1, push up the fader and hear it, but no audio is getting from the computer (brand new Asus laptop) to the 828.

I tried updating to the latest drivers, same problem.

I used to have something similar on my old machine when using an Alesis IO2 with ASIO4ALL if the laptop wasn't seeing the IO2 or the IO2 was in use by another application.

Onboard sound is disabled already.

I'm doing this via USB (finding a new laptop with firewire was damn near impossible). 828 is plugged into the USB3.0 jack on the laptop.

What gives? Can anyone shed any light?

Is this a common problem?

Don't think this is relevant, but I have an 8Pre ADAT'd into the first optical input.
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: New 828Mk3, Windows 7, no audio output

Post by torrentg »

Install the latest 3.0 USB driver from the motherboard website and install or use a 2.0 port instead. Recommend the former no matter what.

Check Windows and Cuemix settings, volumes and mutes. Do the same for any application you are trying to play audio from. Make sure correct default devices are set in everything.

Test standalone operations first, while only connected to pc and nothing else.

You may use the S/PDIF loopback method posted about on this site much, to control Windows audio to a better degree.
AxeSlash
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: New 828Mk3, Windows 7, no audio output

Post by AxeSlash »

Fixed, it was something to do with the Selective Disabling of USB stuff when on battery.