Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - Can't hear sound on windows 7 (64 bit

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
darkins
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - Can't hear sound on windows 7 (64 bit

Post by darkins »

I am having a problem getting sound from my Motu Unltralite Mk3 Hybrid on win7 (64bit) via USB connection. It works perfectly fine on XP via USB. I went through all the steps in other similar 'No Sound' posts. I am now thinking of buying a pci firewire card as it's the only thing left to try. Problem is: Not sure which one to buy or if it is even worth shelling out money for a new card only to find i'll have the same problem via firewire connection.

Has anyone had the same problem and corrected it by using firewire over usb and perhaps recommend a firewire card that worked for them under windows 7 (64bit). Will firewire 800 work or does it have to be 400? I was considering a StarTech 3 Port Mini PCIe FireWire Card, which gives me 2 x 800 ports and 1 x 400 in case the Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid doesn't support 800.

Any advise greatly appreciated.
thanks
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - Can't hear sound on windows 7 (64

Post by torrentg »

Hi,

Install latest chipset drivers from your motherboard site. If the motherboard also has USB 3.0, install that driver from there too.

Make sure you chose the appropriate MOTU output by right clicking the speaker icon in the system notification area near the clock and choosing Playback Devices. Go to Playback tab and right click the one you want to use and set it as the Default Device.

Also check device manager and it's not necessary but in your case good - disable any other audio entries besides MOTU in Sound section.

If you still need help, type msinfo32 in the Start menu then press Enter. File | Save on the opened screen. In Windows Explorer, right click the saved file and choose Send To>>>Compressed Folder.

Upload the zip to Rapidshare.com or similar and paste a link here in a new post.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Now about firewire: It is advisable to use firewire since that does not share bandwidth at all with other peripherals.

You do not NEED it but you do WANT it - if that makes any sense.

The MOTU can work well on either a 400 or 800 port. The MOTU works at 400 mbps speed no matter which you connect it to.

MOTU recommends a firewire card with Texas Instruments chipset because the MOTU has a TI firewire chip, but I've success with VIA on the two cards I have.
darkins

Post by darkins »

Hi torrentg, thanks for the quick response!

I had already tried the steps you mentioned in your first reply as i had read previous post that you offered advise with similar 'No sound' problems, so i really think my last hope is a firewire card. I will however, compress the file you've specified and upload that this evening to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

I have in the meantime been looking at TI chipset firewire cards... do you know of any reason why this (http://www.lindy.ie/firewire-card-with- ... 51180.html) card may not work with the machine i have?, which is:

Dell XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz)
Running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64bit)

thanks
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

All you need to do to see if the card will work is to check if you have an available PCI-e slot on the machine.

Yeah, good idea to upload the msinfo32 as shown. I don't think I've ever seen a machine in what I would consider to be perfect condition at all. So we will have some fixes at at least.
darkins

Post by darkins »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, heres that file you requested:

https://rapidshare.com/files/796638033/msinfo32.zip

Let me know if i need to make any changes.

torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Code: Select all

Name	NVIDIA GeForce GT 545
PNP Device ID	PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1241&SUBSYS_091D10DE&REV_A1\4&DDE86B&0&0008
Adapter Type	GeForce GT 545, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description	NVIDIA GeForce GT 545
Adapter RAM	1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers	nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version	8.17.12.7057
INF File	oem66.inf (Section012 section)
Color Planes	Not Available
Color Table Entries	4294967296
Resolution	1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel	32
Memory Address	0xF8000000-0xFA0FFFFF
Memory Address	0xD0000000-0xFFFFFFFF
Memory Address	0xD8000000-0xDBFFFFFF
I/O Port	0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF
IRQ Channel	IRQ 16
I/O Port	0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port	0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address	0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.12.7057, 12.65 MB (13,261,928 bytes), 19/12/2011 19:49)
Nothing to do with the issues, just good to update to latest driver:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967

-----------------------

Now to do with your issues.

1) Uninstall the M-Audio software. Reboot.

2) If it doesn't fix the issue, uninstall Creative software.

Enjoy.

-------------

Is addition, definitely recommend to uninstall Driver Reviver. These types of programs are terrible and can actually destroy a Windows install easily. They commonly install incorrect drivers, and while that doesn't sound too bad in and of itself, it often leads to issues where it takes a high level of skill and know-how to fix it.

Their selling point: "Driver Reviver is proven by experts to the most accurate" - They make these kinds of statements to fool the end user because they're NOT accurate. heh heh

Best to always get drivers only from the manufacturers' sites, and not even from Windows Update, whenever you see one available there.
darkins

Post by darkins »

So, firstly, i updated my graphics card driver as advised

Next, i did the following:
- unistalled the m-audio driver (which by the way is the driver for my MIDI controller keyboard). Rebooted, but still no sound
- unistalled creative soundcard sodtware, rebooted and still not getting sound

Also, point taken regards 'Driver Reviver', which i only installed the day i posted my issues in an attempt to update any out of date drivers. That too is now unistalled.

I've uploaded a new msinfo32 file with my current configuration.. if you get a chance, maybe you take a quick look and see if anything else can be done.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2986435652 ... update.zip

I think i will go ahead and order a firewire card at this stage. If i remove the creative soundcard that came with the PC, that will give me the free slot for the firewire card.

thanks
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

2 things:

Code: Select all

Name	MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit
Manufacturer	MOTU
Status	OK
PNP Device ID	MOTUFWAUDIO64\MFWAWAVE64\0000
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfwawave64.sys (4.0.5.3503, 80.61 KB (82,544 bytes), 26/04/2012 16:50)
See that driver shown, mfwawave64.sys (Motu Firewire Audio Wave 64)? That's the driver so MOTU gear works on firewire for 64 bit systems. I don't see any kind of USB driver at all.

I would uninstall the MOTU software normally, reboot for good measure, then install latest MOTU driver from their site. Pay attention while installing to see if there is any option to install USB driver.

Then double check your Windows settings for the proper default device to be selected. When testing, any software you try, make sure that is either set to Windows default output or the actual one you expect to hear audio on.

If all of that is not doing the trick, power off, remove Creative card, power on and test again.

------------

If MOTU Cuemix software or MOTU Audio console open up at any time without giving an error, then everything is set well. Look at your mix and output settings as the cause of no sound.
darkins

Post by darkins »

The driver is called Motu Audio Wave 64 and it is for both firewire and USB. The is no mention of Motu Firewire Audio Wave 64.
When i go to install the driver i am presented with 2 options.

- PCI
- Firewire/USB

The one i choose each time is Firewire/USB as i don't have a PCI card in the computer.

I have unistalled the driver, rebooted, then re-installed the latest driver paying close attention but the steps are simple and obvious with just the 2 options as outlined above.

I ordered a firewire card today with a TI chipset. When it arrives i will remove the creative card and install in it's place.
I'll let you know how i get on, hopefully that will solve the problem once and for all, as there is nothing left to try.

thanks for your help anyway, i appreciate your time and advise :-)
darkins

Post by darkins »

Firewire card just arrived.. installed straight away and within minutes MOTU device working perfectly. Sound problem solved! :-)

Motu have a bit of work to do to correct window 7 issues when connecting via USB or they should at least mention it as a known issue.
electronicfakir

Post by electronicfakir »

Hi darkins,

I am facing the exact probkem as you did in the post. Can you tell me which firewire card did you buy?
In this thread you mentioned this card :

http://www.lindy.ie/components-tools-c7 ... pcie-p2634

Was this the one?