Windows 8 Consumer Preview + MOTU = Working

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Windows 8 Consumer Preview + MOTU = Working

Post by torrentg »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am posting right now from the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and listening to music with Winamp and my MOTU Traveler unit.

I installed the latest MOTU driver for it and I am running 32 bit. Everything seems to be working very well and there are no issues. CueMix works well and so does the Audio Console.

I did not install any DAWs yet but I expect them to be functioning perfectly.

So you have a go ahead from me if wondering should you try out 8 with your MOTU. It will work fine.

A little side note: The legacy driver for firewire (IEEE 1394) is not immediately and easily available. My system needs this so there is no audio drop outs from time to time, regardless of which OS I am running. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a way to install the legacy driver.
torrentg

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview + MOTU = Working

Post by torrentg »

I was just able to install the Texas Instruments firewire driver which was included with the OS. I had to uncheck the box to show compatible hardware.

Seems to be smooth playing so far with no drop out. If there are any, there are plenty of other drivers included to try!

They say they are incompatible when installing, but I just disregard that and they do work.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Alright, Texas Instruments firewire driver had a sound glitch or two, so I tried yet another driver.

The magic one for me under Windows 8 (which is actually not good for me on Windows 7) is this one:

"LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"

I am stressing my machine in many ways and this driver does not cause any sound artifacts or dropouts whatsoever.

Hope this information helps others.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Alright, this is final information, guaranteed (LOL!).

After REALLY testing, I still found audio dropouts and glitches. I then knew that only the real Windows 7 Legacy driver will suffice for me. Many users will experience the same; the users that needed Legacy on Windows 7.

So here is how you get Legacy in Windows 8.

Download the file I provide in this post and extract it to a folder. Then use the device manager to manually install the driver and choose the one with Legacy in its name. That's it. I made it very simple for you.

Enjoy and please give any feedback! It works the same here as it did on Windows 7 - perfection!

For x86, 32 bit systems: http://www.2shared.com/file/X9-ei53r/Wi ... r_Wit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO POWER OFF YOUR MOTU AND THEN BACK ON, AFTER INSTALLING THE ABOVE DRIVER. IF YOU DO NOT, OR DO NOT REBOOOT INSTEAD, MOTU WILL BE ABSENT FROM THE DEVICE MANAGER.

funkyspacecadet
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by funkyspacecadet »

Hi, any chance of a 64bit version?
archngel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by archngel »

64 Bit Windows 7 Legacy 1394 driver from here, scanned clean.

www.onhel.com/1394LegacyWin7Driver.zip