No MIDI witn MIDI Timepiece AV USB on Windows 7 64 bit

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
cdex3
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

No MIDI witn MIDI Timepiece AV USB on Windows 7 64 bit

Post by cdex3 »

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the following system build:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 Ghz
4 GB PC8500 DDR2
Delta 44.

I have a MIDI Timepiece AV USB installed with the latest drivers. The device is intalled and recognized by both Winodws and my DAW Cakewalk Sonar X1. However I am unable to transmit or recieve MIDI through the MIDI Timpiece. I upgraded to the USB from a parallel pert version before reading your forum. Is there something I have to do on the MTAV to get it to respond correctly. As mentioned previously my old one worked under Windows XP so I have eliminated the cabling as an issues.

Any suggestion? Also can I network the USB and parallel port version under Windows 7 64 Bit? MOTU claims this is not supported. After reading your forum on the parallel port issues under Windows 7 I have some reservations about MOTU's claim.

Thanks in advance. :(
Zoltan70
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: No MIDI witn MIDI Timepiece AV USB on Windows 7 64 bit

Post by Zoltan70 »

Wow. A post from 2011, with no response so far.. :-/

I wonder if in the end you got some result ? I am now having the same problem, it seems.

A Core2 Duo laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S 7110), I installed the driver with the latest "Universal" Motu MIDI driver, the computer can "see" the MIDI ports (both under XP and Windows 7), there IS incoming MIDI signal (red led blinking on "in" led line, and green led blinking on "out" led line, it's the "USB" led - or "A" ?? I don't get this latter, aaanyway)..

The same setup (same cables, same software) works fine with an M-audio Midisport 4x4, so everything should be working..

Maybe someone has an older XP driver (from the times when Win7 haven't yet existed) for the MTP AV USB ? (MIDI TimePiece. I'm not sure what "AV" stands for.)

By the way, in the past I had a LOT of headache / installation problems with the Motu MIDI Express XT - the parallel port version, and in the end I managed to REALLY figure out how to do it, and I can say it's a good piece of hardware, it works under XP.. not under Windows 7, though. The many, many, many hours of headache was caused by Motu's not-good-enough instructions. NOW I know everything .. :-D :-D .. at least, regarding the XT.)
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

What is the firmware version?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Zoltan70

Post by Zoltan70 »

mikehalloran wrote:What is the firmware version?
Hey Mike, that was quick indeed !! :)

If you're referring to what the Timepiece says when I switch it on, it says
MTP-AV 2.0.0

Why ? Is there maybe a way to upgrade the firmware of the Timepiece, and then it will work ? (I was trying to "experiment" with the USB settings in BIOS, but it didn't change anything.)

Thanks,
Zoltan
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The firmware needs to be 2.0.1 to work properly in Windows or an Intel Mac. This is done by changing two chips in a MIDI Timepiece AV USB.

MOTU stopped selling the upgrade chips in 2012. I presume that they ran out. I may have bought one of the last sets for mine around that time. To my knowledge, there is no source for these anymore.

There are many old threads on this subject.

If buying one on CraigsList or eBay, the firmware version will normally be displayed in a picture by sellers who know what they have.

This thread from 2008 indicates that there may be a way to upgrade the firmware but I don't know if it is accurate. The only way to find out is to call MOTU and ask.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 61&start=0

The settings are kept alive by a CR2032 battery that is easy to replace. This should be done every five years or so.

Besides the firmware chip, there is an EPROM. It needs to be 1.32. It shipped with the firmware 2.0.1 upgrade chip and is also required. I remember that mine had an older firmware chip but the current EPROM. I wound up giving my spare to someone around here.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Zoltan70

Post by Zoltan70 »

mikehalloran wrote:The firmware needs to be 2.0.1 to work properly in Windows or an Intel Mac. The settings are kept alive by a CR2032 battery that is easy to replace. Besides the firmware chip, there is an EPROM. It needs to be 1.32.
Hey Mike, thank you again - you're huge ! :)

I already checked the 2032 battery and it was REALLY flat, so I replaced it with a new one, but that didn't help.

Inside the unit there's a ("narrower") chip, with a sticker on it that says:
AVUSB 1.1
37F4

Is this the EPROM ?

Do you think it could be replaced by an EEPROM ? Because I do have a friend who could do that.. (but, to be able to do that, I'd only need to get the appropriate EPROM first.. probably by buying another Timepiece.. damn !!)

And there's another (a little bit wider/larger) chip that has a sticker on it that says:

MTPAV USB
2.0.0 EC35-55
copyright by 99
S&S Research Inc

This one is the firmware chip, right ? Do you know if this is also an EPROM ? or, if not, what is it ?
And, could it be possible to replace it with an EEPROM or other programmable IC (PIC) ?

Thanks,
Zoltan
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Zoltan70 wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:The firmware needs to be 2.0.1 to work properly in Windows or an Intel Mac. The settings are kept alive by a CR2032 battery that is easy to replace. Besides the firmware chip, there is an EPROM. It needs to be 1.32.
Inside the unit there's a ("narrower") chip, with a sticker on it that says:
AVUSB 1.1
37F4

Is this the EPROM ?
And there's another (a little bit wider/larger) chip that has a sticker on it that says:

MTPAV USB
2.0.0 EC35-55
copyright by 99
S&S Research Inc

This one is the firmware chip, right ? Do you know if this is also an EPROM ? or, if not, what is it ?
And, could it be possible to replace it with an EEPROM or other programmable IC (PIC) ?

Thanks,
Zoltan
Those are the chips that need to be replaced.
Zoltan70

Post by Zoltan70 »

Hi Mike, thanks for the quick response again.

However I still have some doubts.

I understand that firmware 2.0.1 is needed for the Timepiece to work properly with windows.

But then, what about the USB chip ? You wrote (if I haven't misunderstood you) that yours had an earlier version (which one ?) and still worked fine .. (?)
You also said it must be 1.32 , while the link that you suggested

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 61&start=0

mentions 1.31 .. Can you (or anybody else ?) explain what's the difference between USB chip 1.1 , 1.31 , 1.32 and what other versions may exist ?

(I need to make it work with XP and Win7. )

Thank you.. :)
Zoltan
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

According to a Gearslutz thread, the EPROM must be 1.32 to work properly. 1.31 does not. v1.32, like the firmware 2.0.1 chips have been shipping since 2008.

When MOTU sent me the upgrade chip set in 2012, I discovered that my EPROM was already 1.32. That's why I had a spare.

I don't know the build date on my unit. I do recall that the firmware was 2.0.0. I sent that chip to the e-waste recycling drive at the local high school.
Zoltan70

Post by Zoltan70 »

mikehalloran wrote:According to a Gearslutz thread, the EPROM must be 1.32 to work properly. 1.31 does not.
Thanks, Mike ! :)

Are BOTH chips actually EPROMs ? In other words, the "USB chip" (which must be v1.32), is an EPROM, right ? And, what is the "firmware chip" actually ? In some posts people refer to it as ROM.. :-/
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Zoltan70 wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:According to a Gearslutz thread, the EPROM must be 1.32 to work properly. 1.31 does not.
Thanks, Mike ! :)

Are BOTH chips actually EPROMs ? In other words, the "USB chip" (which must be v1.32), is an EPROM, right ? And, what is the "firmware chip" actually ? In some posts people refer to it as ROM.. :-/
I am calling them what MOTU called them.