Motu Ultralite Gone Crazy

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
patchouly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu Ultralite Gone Crazy

Post by patchouly »

Thanks. Let me know if this doesn't work...I'm attempting to take a short cut...
Last edited by patchouly on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by torrentg »

patchouly wrote:Thanks. Let me know if this doesn't work...I'm attempting to take a short cut...

http://www.thestringnetwork.com/webdesign/stuff/SIF.nfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're welcome. It works. I saved the link as a .nfo file and opened it.

1) Update very old Atheros network adapter driver from the following link:

One on system now: Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\l1e62x86.sys (1.0.0.18, 47.50 KB (48,640 bytes), 8/23/2009 6:06 AM)

http://www.atheros.cz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) This folder has modules from 2003, and thus, very likely causing problems of some sort:

nsextint 11.0.5510.0 41.57 KB (42,568 bytes) 7/11/2003 3:09 AM Microsoft Corporation c:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\webfol~1\1033\nsextint.dll

I would rename that folder and reboot. If didn't help, rename back to original.

3) There are remnants on the system from old Comodo software. In safe mode, you can use the tool to clear them away. It's a good idea because they are able (may or may not be though) to cause problems.

Here is a possible link, but perhaps you've had something different, so take note:

http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup- ... 749.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4) Same as #3 for SASKUTIL. I'm unfamiliar with this, whatever it is.

5) I would do a good scan with Malwarebytes, although I do not see anything to be aware of in this regard.

6) I would make sure the memory speed/timings are set well in the bios. To do this, a great tool to check is the SPD manufacturer's settings tab in a program called CPU-Z against what the memory is actually working at in the Memory tab.

Other than those above things, I don't really any see anything else that could potentially cause issues. There is a decent chance the above will alleviate the problems, but definitely no guarantee. You'll be better off after, regardless. So, good luck!
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Greatly appreciated! I will get on those changes right away and let you know if it works. As you said, either way, it will help the system run better and I'm all for that!
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

1 - Updated Atheros driver, from provided link, to 1.0.0.22.
2 - Renamed "Webfolder" to "Webfolder TEMP" and rebooted".
3 - Ran Comodo Cleaner to remove remnants of Comodo.
4 - Ran Super Antispyware Cleaner to remove remnants of Super Antispyware (SASKUTIL).
5 - Ran Malwarebytes Antimalware.
6 - I will run CPU-Z tomorrow.

So far, with only step 6 missing, I still have the problem. I will update when I try CPU-Z.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

OK, I installed and ran CPU-Z. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. On a related note, I usually run a program called HWinfo32. Brings up ever thing you could ever want to know about your hardware. A great program to have in your arsenal if you haven't already got it.

Anyway, so far, no luck. Is it possible that the MOTU is fried? Should I be saving up cash to buy a new unit?
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

Another update, possibly a solution (for me anyway).

I noticed that, anytime I tried to run a large MKV file, I'd get the drop out and the loud clipping, right away.

Thinking it may be an interrupt issue, I started disabling things (USB, Network adapter etc.) Nothing seemed to help.

I grabbed a program called "DPC Latency Checker" and ran it while playing the video file. Sure enough, it ran into the red with an "Absolute Maximum" latency of just over 7000 us!

I'm using VLC for my media player and it allowed me to disable the audio and video separately. After seeing no change while the audio was disabled (a surprising turn of events), I disabled the video. Instantly, the latency dropped to around 150us.

Now I'm thinking about the video drivers. Instead of doing an upgrade to the drivers, I completely removed them. Then I did a complete install of the newest drivers. After the installation completed, I ran the MKV video with DPC Latency Checker running. Low and behold, the video played, the latency remained at around 150us and I had no loss of signal to the MOTU.

Now, there is an off chance that I had two issues and have only successfully solved one of them, but so far, it looks like I may have got it.

I will monitor over the next week and, if all things are working, will report back here. Hopefully someone else who is having this same issue will be able to benefit from this.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

More problems.

I sat at the computer, this morning, and noticed there was no audio. So, I turned off the MOTU, meaning to restart it and see if the audio would return. Instead, I got a BSOD:

Stop: 0x0000007E
Motufwa.sys - Address AAAACD28

So, I restarted and still no audio. I opened control panel, expanded the audio and found "MOTU Audio". After that, I chose Update Driver and said to let me choose. It reinstalled the driver and then I had sound. Problem is, it only lasted a few hours and then a had a reoccurrence of the exact same steps.

I'm thinking this may be a driver issue. Is there any way to find out for sure if it is a driver issue?
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

*Bump* for any further advice on this.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

It's been a awhile, but I've gathered more info.

Basically, when the audio drops out, I noticed that the "Motu Wave Audio" in System Devices, will not disable (I thought I could fix the issue by disabling the Motu Wave Device and reenabling it). All the other Motu listings disable or uninstall, fine. The Wave Audio, listing will not come out and claims it needs a system restart to work.

This is definitely a driver issue. Any idea when this issue is going to be addressed?
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by torrentg »

Hey, you can post the latest minidumps if ya want.
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by billruys »

Have you tested for deferred procedure calls creating pops & clicks? Grab DPC Latency checker from here and let us know what you see.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

DPC was showing latency, when I viewed videos. I have since formatted and that seems to have fixed the latency with videos. But, it's still dropping out. Usually, it will be fine when I go to bed and when I get up, there is no audio. It looks like it's working, but there is no sound. As I mentioned, the "Wave Audio" in Device Manager will not disable or uninstall and claims to need a restart. As soon as I restart, it's back again.
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

I've narrowed it down to the exact driver that is causing the issue. It is "mfwawave". It seems to get stuck, as though it's not being released. I can't even shut it off with a "net stop", once the audio drops out.

Is anyone here good with drivers? I don't know enough about them to fix this driver myself.
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu Ultralite Gone Crazy

Post by kgdrum »

As it's a MOTU driver issue I'd contact MOTU to figure out the solution.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
patchouly

Post by patchouly »

More updates.

I posted a support question on the MOTU site, but it's been three weeks and I haven't got a response yet. It still says "unread".

I noticed that I didn't have a 24 bit option for the audio, so I switched from "Motu Main Out" to "Motu Analog". Then, I moved the monitors to outputs 1 and 2. It worked and I was able to select 24 bit. However, The audio plays for a few seconds then starts to cut in and out. It cycles with 3 seconds in and 1 second out. If I disable and re-enable the Motu Analog in device settings, it works perfectly until I turn off what ever player I happen to be using. As soon as it releases the audio card, restarting the audio results in it cutting out again.

This is quite frustrating...